BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: European union???
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: European union???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marlene falke (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hello to all here...

i would like to move to bonaire in oktober.

i am german and i used to live for a while at curacao, so i speak dutch and a bit papiamentu as well and i really loved my time at the caribean.

now i heard that bonaire is going to be a part of the netherlands.

what does that mean exactly?
is it than possible for me to get a working permit like in whole europe?

i talked to the dutch embassy, the antillenhuis and the ministry of holland, but nobody was able to give me an answer.

may you know the new rules?

thanx for answering my questions.

greetings from berlin
marlene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #369) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I too am interested to know how this will work.

Regardless of the wording to describe Bonaire's relationship to the Netherlands, the point of contention is that Bonaire will be receiving funding from the EU, not just the Netherlands.

If the EU as a body is using EU members money for development of Bonaire than surely that would afford EU citizens to live and work on the island while enjoying the same privileges as the Dutch.

I wait with baited breath and my suitcase packed in anticipation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #580) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think that if anyone tells you the new rules, they are telling you things they don't truly know. It isn't possible to even get a good date. It clearly isn't Dec. 15 of this year, but no one can say when it has been delayed to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #370) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't believe that it will make any difference for EU citizens regardless of what happens.

There are many "special territories" that are extensions of EU countries (mainly former colonies) who enjoy EU status without the red tape.

Basically, the citizens of these special territories are EU citizens and can live and work throughout the EU but unfortunately, it is not a privilege that is reciprocated across the board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3246) on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am an EU passport holder and having it does give me any privileges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6361) on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you mean "does not give", Ann.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3249) on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Opps..right o Jake..NADA...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration