BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Help!!can't find pet movers
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Help!!can't find pet movers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all again. I'm trying to get my dog (70lbs) to Bonaire from San Diego...Can't find an airline that flies that large a dog to Bonaire from San Diego. Tried a special airline that KLM recommended but they have been flakey and given me a web site that doesn't exits. Has anyone flown their dog from so cal or anywhere in cal to bonaire? I'm getting really worried that i won't be able to get him down there. Any suggestions, help advice would be so very much appreciated. It doesn't help even tho he is not old that he is blind so i'm especially worried about his care on the way. thanks so much if anyone can advise...hope ya'll are having a sunny day where ever you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #531) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is the name of the "special airline"? I might be able to find you a contact if I know what I'm looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #633) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have you tried Continental or Delta Both fly non-stop out of Houston( Continental) or Atlanta (Delta).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One possibility (if you can not find flights from California) would be to consider driving to Houston and catching a flight on Continental from there. Of course, I haven't checked with Continental - maybe no airline will fly a dog that big...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #852) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the problem has been that the airlines (like CO & DL) don't have an animal handler here at the airport (at least not in the past), so maybe you need to work from Bonaire backwards. I'd start with calling Bonaire Air Services, 011-599-717-4475. This company handles the needs of many of the airlines that land here. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have friends who fly large dogs down from NY using crates on AA thru SJU. So I know it can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all your help. just found out that yes AA flys pets.problem is they said due to the date i want to fly him (june 28th) the temp will be well above 85 in SJ and so they won't allow him to board the plane in san diego. i've exhausted all possible leads now. AA tried several different routes but still all roads led to SJ and too high of temps. Basically they said forget it. I even called a yacht charter business out of miami...wow not cheap, rough seas and days to get to bonaire...not affordable for me. wonder if i could find a good makeup artist and pass him off as a blond, blind old lady...he really is blind so maybe i could put glasses on him and a long coat...i even thought of saying he is a special service dog that he helps me teach people how to deal with blind dogs...as a special service dog they will allow me access to him to take out of the crate and even on the plane....oh well. Thanks again for all your suggestions. anyone a private pilot that wants to come to san diego and fly us down to bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3143) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I seem to recall Dara Walter used Amerijet to transport her two dogs from Curacao to Miami. I may be wrong. Here is there schedule.

What dates do they stop flying pets into SJU? I knew summer travel was prohibited due to the heat.

http://intranet.amerijet.com/PortalIntranet/BD/Schedules/AirSchedule.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3144) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, their schedule...It might be worth it to call Amerijet. Did Continental and Delta say no?? What about another carrier to Curacao?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy:

Our dog Buddy has now flown twice on AA, and once was in October when it was easily over 85 degrees in CUR when we landed. You're taking a chance. No guarantees of course, they have their rules, but the crew at AA were great. Buddy is 60 lbs and flies in a Sky Kennel 400. (If yours is in a 500 that may be too big for any airline.) Fly to Miami, stay the night at La Quinta on Le Juene Rd. (they allow dogs), take the 10 am AA flight to Curacao 2 1/2 hours, and he'll cost $100. Then fly DAE at 4ish to Bonaire. He'll be expensive as they only allow 20kg baggage, but you're only doing it once. You can't go Divi Divi because their cargo door is too small. The DAE people were great about making sure Buddy was in the AC or the breezeway until the last minute.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #391) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have no particular knowledge here but here are some ideas (some may be too expensive and/or end up being lame):
a) CO via EWR. This would probably be OK in terms of temps (at least until BON -- and they get in very early am).
b) CO via IAH. They have a day kennel in IAH and the flight to BON arrives very early am.
c) Would Divi do a charter plane from CUR or AUA? If so, then you have some options (AA via MIA to CUR; lots of flights to AUA)
d) What about Delta via ATL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #269) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is no easy or cheap way to do it. And even in the fall and winter you run the risk of temperature restrictions in San Juan. At least as of last summer, Divi will fly the dog from Curacao if you can find a route to there that will allow you to avoid the temperature restrictions. I would advise taking the same route as your dog. You could also think about flying the dog to Amsterdam and then to Bonaire on KLM, but that is a long and costly trip. The only other options I am aware of are Amerijet (you'd probably want to hire a pet shipper to take care of that, which adds to the cost but helps ensure your pet's safety) or chartering a private plane, which is what many, myself included, have done when they have large dogs or multiple pets. If you can find someone else in a similar jam you could share the cost. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5389) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How do the airlines accommodate blind people with seeing eye dogs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #270) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Licensed/registered (not sure of the correct terminology) service dogs of any kind are allowed on the plane with you. I am also told that if you have a letter from a mental health professional stating that you cannot fly without your pet, the airline must accommodate you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #271) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"certified'--that's the word I was looking for :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You don't have to be blind to have a service dog-all good training companies in the U.S.can get a dog certified (the training is done in your home, takes just a few weeks, is not expensive, and it's worth the money to be able to take the dog in cabin)if you have almost any health problem (can be what is called an "invisible" handicap-for example a heart condition, nervous system problem, eye condition, etc.)and can get a doc to say it is a disabling condition and that he/she is prescribing a service animal for you-the disabling condition does not and should not be listed by the doctor(considered private) and the U.S. airlines must honor it-cats can be "companion animals" with mental health letter but it also helps to have an MD write a letter to accompany the shrink's letter-anyone needing advice on this can email me and I'll be happy to advise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #272) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis and his wonderful wife Patti are absolutely the experts on this subject! (Hi guys! I hope you and the fur kids are all well. Emmy and Buya send hugs, as do I!)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration