BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: TRICARE Insurance
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: TRICARE Insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivy K Pinkston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

My name is Katy, and my husband and I plan on retiring to Bonaire. This is not going to be for a while, but I was wondering if there are any military people out their who have already retired to Bonaire, and know if TRICARE can be used in Bonaire. I am obviously in the military, and plan on retiring from it, and will have TRICARE for life upon retirement. Thanks for any help you can provide with this question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #860) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Kate, It's a Dutch Island therefore you have a Government Health System. As a retiree you can claim residence, once you show sufficient retirement income, and will be part of the system.

Reality Check !!!! Very good friend on Bonaire managed to develop bacterial (viral?) pneumonia, was diagnosed locally, got worse, flew on his on $$$ to Curacao Hospital, after 2 days believed he would die there so checked himself out, flew to Miami, checked into hospital. 2 weeks in the hospital and he had to spend 6 more weeks stateside for monitoring and treatment, then he returned home to Bonaire.

The VERY BEST health insurance would be sufficient funds to be used in such an emergency. First Aid and the first flight stateside.

I mean NO disrespect to the fine Doctors, Dentists and occasional Vet that support the island's health care system. Like everything else on Bonaire, they are supoorted by the Government and they do the very best job with what they are alloted.

Opps, tripped over my orange crate again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivy K Pinkston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the information! Here are a few more question for you if you don't mind. If I claim residency does that mean I have to give up my US citizenship? Is there a premium you pay to be on the Government Health System, if so how much is it, or do you pay according to your income?The medical insurance is what worries me the most, we will definitely have enough money to retire, but worry about the health care. Thanks for any additional information you can provide. We are coming to the island in June for a dive vacation, I can't wait.

Katy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9331) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 5:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well put Kelly.
Where the hell have you been old friend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #861) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Katy now your are getting way too involved in the system for me. Hopefully a reader will be able to provide most extensive data. During your June trip should be able to get a better feeling of the system. Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #862) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 6:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been around, just found a way to mellow a bit :-). Doesn't mean I don't luv ya !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not convinced that getting a residency permit automatically entitles one to subscribe to the Government Health System, at least not immediately.

I state this because we picked up our residency permits last Friday and one of the conditions required to obtain the permit was to show proof of medical insurance, which fortunately we have. Even though they had a photocopy of the insurance card (from last November's application) we had to show our most recent card. Having your own insurance is part of the requirements for gaining residency status.

Note also that the residency status is "temporary" in that it only applies for one year and then you must renew - which I think is basically resubmitting the same paperwork as the previous year but with a new financial statement. You have to do the residency renewal for 10 years before you are not a temporary resident - at which time maybe you qualify for the government insurance? Clearly we are still trying to determine all the rules (and they will undoubtedly change this coming year with closer ties to the Netherlands...)

No, you do not have to give up US citizenship - especially since you are on Bonaire on a "temporary" one year basis for the first 10 years.

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2931) on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I feel I must intercede here as you are recieving alot of misinformation. My late husband was retired navy and we lived on Bonaire for 22 years before his death and i continue to live here. TRICARE will pay your medical expenses only thru reimbersments upon submission of any medical expenditures you incur in the Netherlands Antills. There is no direct coverage.

When you become eliligble for Medicare - Tricare transfers you to Medicare - however you continueto be eligible for Direct Care thru the military. that then requires you to report to the nearest USA military base medical facility. At the present time it is Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico. There are daily flights from Bonaire to Puerto Rico.

Permanent residency gives you some rights but not many. You must hold a Dutch passport to receive national health insurance. In order to get a dutch passport, you must reside in Bonaire for a minimum of 10 years and be approved for application by submiting a petition to the government here. I am using chat n browse computer since mine is out of order

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #864) on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You came just in time...thanks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4553) on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, you were married to a man at one time? Learn something new every day:-)

I assume the above person posting as Michael is in fact, not Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2932) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Duh...Petrie failed to put in her address...I was married twice, but to two different women...still looking for the third...Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3102) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was so confused Michael. Thanks for clarifying.

I have residency now for 5 years and do not have national healthcare. I pay out of pocket using International Medical Group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivy K Pinkston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everybody, Sorry I was absent from all this information last week. I was in a baton instructor course, and did not get done until about 6:00 pm every night. Thank you all for the information you have provided. It is a lot of information to process. I would like to thank Michael, it is always nice to talk with someone familiar with the way the Military works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #888) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What pray tell is a baton instructor course ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivy K Pinkston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly,

You really made me laugh! Have you ever heard of an ASP or Mondadock Baton? If not an expandable baton is a piece of equipment normally used by law enforcement people in certain circumstances. We have a use of force policy in the military, and the baton falls under the thresehold/yellow or active resistance phase of the use of force policy. If someone tries to hit you or use something to hit you, under the use of force you may use an expandable baton to defend yourself. The course I took qualifies me to teach others to use the baton for either a basic 4 hour course or an advanced 8 hour course. We also took defensive tactics with the course, and I am now qualified to teach it also. Hope this answers your question :-)

Katy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #892) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jezzzz, U Jayhawkers take the use of force seriously...as a born scoff-law I will avoid Kansas at all costs.. damn fancy clubs if you ask me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1676) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like it...a post about meeting force with force signed "Katy"....that's just cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #893) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where the heck did I get an asterick ??? after my name... ::: now everybody is gonna want one..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivy K Pinkston (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

An Asterick - I want an asterick. Kelly I can't believe you know about the Jayhawks - don't worry too much about the use of force. I have been in the military for over 10 years, and have never had to actually use the baton. Now the 7 years I worked in corrections - that's a different story. Katy

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration