BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Not relocating yet, but.......
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Not relocating yet, but.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Retirement is on the horizon and boy am I ready to come "home" for good.

How many containers (and size)are we allowed to bring to the island? If more than one, can I send one down now and the other when I retire?

Do I understand correctly that I cannot begin the residency process until I do retire and am ready to permanently live on Bonaire?

Expiring minds want to know.
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6131) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Shelley! Well, congrats on your soon to be retirement! Wish I was able to do so right now too, but got at least another 5 years or so till I get to that point. I can't really answer your questions, but I am sure someone here on BT will know, if not, try talking to Bob at Remax as he was a big help when we bought our place. I would love to know the answers too for when that time comes myself. Congrats again, lucky lady! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Debbie. My goal is between 12 to 18 months. After 20 yrs., I still love what I do, I'd just rather be doing something else on Bonaire! Will let you know when I talk to Bob.
Take care, Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #410) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think there is a limit on how many containers you can bring. You are allowed to bring one 40' container containing household goods and no more than one vehicle (that you have owned for at least one year) duty free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 8:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kevin. What I would really like to do is send down a container of stuff I want (but really don't need here in the US) and then when I do retire, ship the rest down then. As for a vehicle, is it more cost effective to ship it or just purchase on the island?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #411) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 8:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So far as I know, you can only get a duty-free container in at the time you become a resident. You could ship a container early, but duties will be due.

In general, if you own a later model car that is supported on the island (Suzuki/Mitsubishi/Toyota) then you will be better off bringing it than buying a new one here. Bringing in a brand-new one costs too much in duties, and bringing in an off-brand only works if you can repair it yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the valuable info. I appreciate it. Have my heart set on the new truck by Honda. Ruby red Honda Ridgeline. Will have to rethink that option if I can't get parts or repaired when necessary.

Thanks again Kevin.
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[less than 30 days] (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #253) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin
Am I hearing that if you buy/build a new home and don't apply for residency it's not duty free?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #412) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First, to make a real decision, you should really contact Customs (Douane, it's called here).

But no, I don't think that there is a duty-free exemption for people that don't apply for residency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My understanding is that you have to have the permanent residency status before the one-time duty free shipment of household goods applies. Also, you have 6 months from the time you get your permanent residency status in which to ship the household goods. It may be possible to get an extension on the 6 months but I wouldn't count on it. When I talked with Customs about this they were pretty firm on the 6 month time window. In addition, you should be ready to unload the containers when they arrive. You will pay a storage fee for each day the containers sit on the dock before they clear customs.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration