BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Monthly living expenses
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Monthly living expenses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all youse bonaire peoples...hey if a person owned outright a residence (meaning no mortgage payments) and had no other debts, what dollar amount would be necessary to sustain life per month? In other words cost of food, water, electric and any other island taxes or expenditures required. US citizenship would be retained. Anyone have any calculations on this scenario? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah and that would be for one person. Thanks so much to all who might answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2715) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are too many variables to give an answer that would make sense..ie do you sleep with airoco? do you shower once a day or twice a day, do you eat lots of meat or lots of veggies..do you eat in or go out, do you drink Polar or Heineken...too many things to consider Best guess, anywhere between $500 and $3000 per month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #132) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

some more variables that greatly influence the picture: do you have a swimming pool (water, electricity and maintenance)? do you have a large garden (water and maintenance costs)? do you do the cleaning yourself or a cleaning lady? do you need internet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

have not bought yet but am looking to live as follows: airco occasionally...no pool...mostly veggies...oh and chicken and fish...but do love ribs...internet yes...eat in mostly...and not a big eater...drink wine and occasionally beer...do own cleaning...small low maintenance yard...need tv connection...maybe only cell and calling card from michael...i'm thinking my biggest expense might be air for diving ;-) and gas for jeep...selling house in san diego and going down to bonaire again end of oct for two weeks to check out real estate and dive of course...am just trying to figure out if i can live there without gainful employment with my current financial situation...am not looking for much in the way of house...can be small..but would like 2 bedroom and keep total price to $150,000 US. my heart is in bonaire and i was born on an island and i think that i always knew I'd live on one someday...it's in my blood I think and bonaire is in my heart, soul and mind...the time is right to make the move...would like to work there but understand that it is difficult for americans to find jobs...I am a manager of a electrom/mechanical engineering group in an aerospace company at the present time with skills in electo/mechanical design and drafting...don't think there is much of a need for that on bonaire, so am looking to go there and be able to survive on savings and maybe eventually find some kind of work but if not still being able to survive on a fixed income.i've done a lot of work with kids who have learning problems...but do not have teaching credentials...anyway thanks to you both for your responses...so i'm thinking maybe i can get buy on $1000 to $1500 per month? With this new info does that sound reasonable? Any other variables that come to mind i would greatly appreciate your input on. Thanks again to you both...i'd rather be able to just get by living on bonaire than remain in san diego with all the "material stuff" and life style i live now...been mulling this over in my mind for the past two years and now i'm ready to make a move if it can handle it financially...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1053) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sandy..Well another thing to consider outside of finance is psychological. I know you indicated that you were born on an island but have you lived on one for an extensive period of time? If not, my own experience leads ME to conclude that Island stuff is great for a couple of months but 12 months a year?

I love Bonaire very much but personally I don't think my temperament would let me live there all year round. I have an affinity for the change of seasons, like summer going into autumn..But I certainly would love 4 months a year on Bonaire :-).

Seriously, if you're going to be strapped for currency, why don't you try renting for 4-6 months before you "make the leap". Best of luck to you on whatever you decide & happy house hunting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By junie (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sandy,

To live on the island as a resident, you need to apply for residency, and one of the requirements is you must have enough fund to sustain yourself. Finding a job is not easy because you would need your work permit and your employer must prove that he/she could not find any locals to do the job. On top of that, most jobs such as teaching or designing/drafting, require you to speak Dutch or Papiamentu or both.

Based on my experience as well as what I saw with other people, moving to "paradise" a person would bring along day-to-day chores and problems, and would have to take care of them. Thus, there would be less time for diving.

Another variable I did not see anybody mentioned is the travel cost going back to the US to visit family and friends.

Sorry if I said what you may not like to hear. I thought Vince's advice about trying it out for 4-6 months is very good. Vacationing in a place is very different than living there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi and thanks again to all...i have considered all that has been said..many times over..also, i don't believe there is any place that is "paradise".I don't believe in the grass is always greener theory...I believe in me and in knowing what i need heading into the next adventure and second half of my life and that is to live in a small community, with a stable government, with people of varied cultures, warm water, warm weather, place to ride my mtn bike and the opportunity to dive, a place where a lot of clothes are not required (not meant to mean I'm a clothing optional person, but would just like to down size both my scale of things and obligations and i believe that at this point i am financially in a position to do so...i know that i will still have problems and issues as this is just what life is all about...i just want to be in a place that is more conducive to my needs and future plans. thanks again all...you have all been very helpful and i really do appreciate hearing both the pros and cons and the reality of your words. thanks for taking the time to reply.If anyone has any info on properties available in the $150,000 price range I would love to hear about them...and moderators if this is not the appropriate venue for me to ask an receive this kind of info, to all who have any info please feel free to send me an email at my email address under my profile...and thanks again so much for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[less than 60 days] (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sandy

I've given great thought to moving to Bonaire, and the major concern I have is how important working is too me!

I come in daily contact with people who have retired only to go back to work, because of emotional, and financial reasons.

I've thought about many scenarios and the one that appeals to me the most is to own both on Bonaire and in the states and just use Bonaire as a vacation home, while continuing to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bill, i'm not a stand still person either...i suspect i'd become involved in volunteer work of some kind as i'm a pretty high energy person..i've done various volunteer work mostly with kids...every place that I've ever lived has needed volunteers for something...Also I worked as a 21 dealer at harrahs in Tahoe for a year (not as a volunteer) and if Bonaire every revs up to a big tourist place which i sincerely hope it does not, maybe i could take up my old profession...am sad to say that i was a very winning dealer for the house, but it was kind of fun and tips were nice. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[less than 60 days] (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #230) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy
Talking about 21 Dealers, I have two customers, in their mid to late 70's, who retired from the L A basin, moved to Las Vegas, hung out and couldn't stand not being productive---oh, their wives couldn't stand it either.--lol

I have another customer, who a year ago just finished building their new house, the gentlemen is 85, she's early 80's-- so it's a mind set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna Gassert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go for it Sandy. Sounds like you're more than ready for the move. Know quite a lot of 'early-retired' women who live here and are very comfortable with not working. Most volunteer somewhere, dive and socialize frequently. Think you're fit right in, and I don't even know you.
Diving doesn't have to be expensive. Most shops have a 'local' rate. Keep in mind, you can only be here 3 months, and legally you must leave island while your residency is in process. Think about renting for that period - take time to look for your new home. Hopefully by closing, your residency papers will also be approved.

Good Luck. and Bon Bini na Bonairu

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration