BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Someone please put me in my place...QUICK!! ;)
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Someone please put me in my place...QUICK!! ;)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Background:

American Citizen, Male, 30, Single, no kids, no girlfriend, PADI OWSI, been to Bonaire 7x, current job in the IT field. See profile for pic.

Situation:

I'm pretty much at the point right now where I don't want to look back in 10-15 years and say...I wish I would have, but now I can't because some of the above information has changed. (And no, I plan on staying a male) ;)

Objective:

Teach scuba diving on Bonaire and see where the future takes me.
--------------------------------------

That is my little introduction. From the research I have done, it seems like this is not going to be a reality, unless the stars align for me.

I have thought of some options:

1) Stars align, I get a work permit and start working as an OWSI.

2) I move down there and can support myself without a job for atleast a year. Be a diving bum, make some friends, and see what happens.

3) Scrap the whole Bonaire idea and look for another place to work and instruct. (not thrilled about that option)

Ohh yeah, I guess I should ask a question.

Any other options I'm missing? Is my outlook realistic?

Thanks,

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MalePeka aka Mara (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2448) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jason,

Have you contacted any of the dive shops on Bonaire to see what qualifications they may be looking for in an instructor. Often times they are looking for people that are at least bi-lingual. I don't remember how it works with being able to support yourself but somehow I don't think that it is just a year time that you need to be able to demonstrate but I could be wrong.

Have you looked at the PADI Pro's employment site to see what is out there for areas maybe other than Bonaire? Have you thought about "interning" some place? When I was older than you (by a "few" years) I wound up working on a liveaboard dive boat just to get a feel of what it would be like. While I enjoyed the lifestyle I HATED the accomodations and didn't think I would be able to make that work for me.

Also consider taking a work sabbatical, really looking at your finances and see if you can afford to take 6 months to a year off and then go and dive. There are LOADS of inexpensive diving spots - the hard part is getting there. And that can help you decide if being a full time instructor (glorified sherpa) is really what you want.

Whatever you decide just remember to go forward as we cannot change the past, we can only learn from it and use it to guide us in our future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5824) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Jason IMHO, it's not realistic and your chances of being successful are very slim, but that should not stop you from doing it. You know it's your choice live an ordinary life or an extraordinary life.

Now to the reality, unless you speak at least two of the following; Dutch, Spanish, German, French or Papiamentu your chances of scoring a DM job is pretty small. Now to get a work permit you have to have a skill that no locals process. One field I have often thought could work in Bonaire is marine engineering. There always seems to be a great need for skilled people to work on boats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #749) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Learn air-conditioning & refrigeration repair, how to merengue & salsa (if you don't already), then come to Bonaire, fall in love with and marry a local. Keep diving as your hobby so you'll not hate it as a job, when you HAVE to do it.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PegiSue (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1143) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like you need to go to Bonaire and have some chicken!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2701) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, ac and refrigeration as well as diesel mechanics. In your spare time, learn how to repair chicken/ff fryers!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #175) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the responses. The bi-lingual thing is going to be an issue. I had 5 years of Spanish in school, but I only remember the bad words. :-)

I know its a long shot and diving as a living, as opposed to for fun are two different things.

Marrying a local? I may have to work on that in October. Maybe I can meet and marry someone there in 2 weeks. ;)

J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PegiSue (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1146) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go Jason!! You must keep us romantics updated on your progress! I like the idea of following your dreams, don't look back later and think "If only..." I know not many people follow this view, but you only live once, you don't get to come back and do it again. You never know when your number is gonna be up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you PegiSue!

I'm not sure of the timeframe right now, but I'll post back here as things evolve.

J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #658) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about a second choice. A friend of mine has recently gotten a job on Curacao as a DM at one of the larger resorts. He was there on vacation, got the job and stayed.It's not Bonaire but it is close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Herman! Long time no chat!!

That is certainly an option.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration