BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Building your own home
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Building your own home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thorpe (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What obstacles would you see, if you decided to build your own home, obviously it would take more than 90 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #692) on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nothing that a lot of money, time and patience won't solve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By allan schein (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, anyone have any advice? I was interested in the El Pueblo project. It seems it is sold out, along with Waterlands. Would it be better to buy a piece of oceanfront land first, and have a home built on it? Are there good builders on Bonaire? Do they have offices in the downtown area? I would like to get in touch with one of them by e-mail, can anyone recommend one? We will be there in September, bt would like to get some info before we leave. Thanks, Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1017) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Allan..You'll see that good oceanfront land (if you can find it) on Bonaire is EXTREMELY expensive. Oceanfront land at sea level; quite a bit less so. Yes there are some excellent builders on the island. My advice however is to pick a good real estate agent first to begin your search. I'd recommend the folks at Sunbelt since I've had first hand personal dealings with them.
Good luck with your endeavors :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By allan schein (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Vince, thanks for the info. I am already in contact with Anja from Sunbelt. Why do you say land at sea level is less expensive? I would think it would be the other way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1939) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Allan,

Bonaire may be out of the hurricane belt, but it can and does experience surges. Lenny, for instance, caused surges so strong that it wiped out the docks for most of the resorts, leveled a restaurant at Sand Dollar (the legendary Green Parrot) and did lots of other damage - all with the sun brightly shining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[ 2 trips in sight-Oct-March (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
How often do the surges happen? Will home owners insurance cover such occurrences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By allan schein (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Susan, I didn't know about the surges. How far did the surge come up from the regular water line?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1940) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Surges of the magnitude of that from Lenny I think are pretty infrequent. They do happen sometimes, though.

If you search, you can find some photos on-line that document what happened then. Here's what Jake and Linda wrote, back when they were doing Bonaire E-News:
Lenny surge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By allan schein (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 9:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Susan, interesting pictures of Lenny's surge. I my self have been through several hurricanes, so I know what to expect. Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1018) on Monday, August 6, 2007 - 5:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Allan..Working with Anja I believe you're off to a great start!
**Susan** Thanks for posting the link. It's always good to remind us what mother nature is capable of doing even on tranquil Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Monday, August 6, 2007 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
Thanks for the link... had not seen these before...Jake & Linda... thanks for taking the pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy Doyon (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bought my property through Sunbelt in the Sabal Palms development and found them very helpful, they were very knowledgeable about all the procedures for a non Dutch or non native citizen regarding buying land. I am amazed, however, how property costs have risen over the last three years.
The people in Bonaire are really friendly, I came for the scuba diving, but the place is really terrific. With the wind power fields going up on the eastern side of the island, there's a big push to keep the island "green" which is very admirable. I'm not sure how much development can continue though, water, which comes from the desalinization plant, is at a premium. Bonaire is not like the commercial oriented Aruba, Bonaire is quiet, small and I hope it more or less stays that way.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration