BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Average monthly costs for electricity and water
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Average monthly costs for electricity and water
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cees Raven (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, February 7, 2006 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As we have serious plans to move to Bonaire we like to know what the average monthly bill for both water and electricity is. This based on a "average" house and 2 (window +/-9000 BTU) airco's on during each night of 8 hours and normal waterusage. This by an occupation of normally 2 persons.
Could anyone give us an idea of these monthly costs? Would be great.
Reason for our request is that we've been on the island several times and felt instantly at home. Beside that, my wife Ria was raised on Curacao, lived there for many years and want to go back to her roots. Now after my early retirement we have the possibility to leave Holland and enjoy our rest and all at Bonaire.
After early retirement my income will be a lot less than currently, that's why we like to know the average costs of the utilities before making decisions.
Anyone an idea of the costs. (prices of food and stuff we know already by experience)
Thanks in advance for your response.
Cees and Ria Raven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #975) on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cees,

Hey, That describes me and my husband. We are not home that much during the day, but we have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house and our web bills run around fl, 400,00 a month or so. It depends. We only have airco in the bedrooms but there were a few days in Sept/Oct last year we had to close all the exterior doors and open the bedroom doors because it was so hot and no wind. We are considering getting another airco for the living/dining room just for those times.

Right now the wind and temp are beautiful so we don't even need the ceiling fan on in the living room. Also, you will need to consider the cost of propane for cooking, the removal of waste. Our propane tank (large) lasts us about 6 months and costs 95,00 and our septic needs to be pumped out every 2-3 months at about 63,00. Hope I helped. Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #908) on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depends on your habits.
I never use air conditioning and hence have lower electric costs. I also make my propane tanks last a lot longer, but I eat a lot of food which does not require cooking. If you need to keep your costs down, you can do so.
The need to economize is a great motivator. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By randy inbody (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys: So far no one has said what the cost of water is per month. Is there a monthly minimum fee and a set amount of water for that fee? (then of course if you go over the fee goes up) Also is the waste removal fee included with that or separate?
In Globe Arizona, the city charges water and garbage pickup as one fee. Also is the electric a separate bill? Thanks Randy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #671) on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Garbage pick up is on your water bill here. The bill starts at 25,00 fls (20 min. for water, 5 for trash p/u). That's about $15 together. Then it's how you use your water--some people can keep it below $50/m, others go into the hundreds. Homes have septic tanks here. Depending upon its size, you have to pay to have that cleaned out every xx months (smaller ones need emptying sooner, etc). There are a few companies that do this, and I think it's around $40. Electricity bills come separately. I've found that I pay about 4x more than my friends/family in the US, for what appears to be the same usage of water & electricity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Adams (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone please let me know how much electric is a KWH in Bonaire and how muCh water cost per CUBIT SQUARE MEETER?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Adams (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know how much electricity is per KWH and also water per cubit square meter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6073) on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,

Based on my latest bill a KWH is NAF 0,49 (US$0.273). Water is NAF 11,11 ($6.24) per cubic meter. Note that both of these are purely a division of the amount on the bill by the units. Actually calculations actually include a base fee for water, plus cubic meter charge, so for smaller volumes than we use, the per m3 rate will be higher. We also use a lot of electricity, so there's some sort of surcharge there.

See Ruth's note above.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MadMan (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The price of water is 13.00 per M3 the first m3 are subsidized. They charge a price for the first 2 M3. and every M3 above gradually will go up in price till the max of 13.00 m3. Web nv also has a list of the cost of running your appliances if you send them a note they will gladly fax or mail you this list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By randy inbody (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

how many gallons (approx) are in a cubic meter?
will web deliver if you are on the grid?
where can I get a holding tank?
about how much are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #374) on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, for a start 1 cubic meter is 264 gallons.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 8:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Today I was told that with fuel surcharges electricity on Bonaire is now NAF 1,00 (US$0.571) KWH. Is this correct as of December 4, 2007?

randl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randl (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 9:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had a good chat with the W.E.B. folks today. The exact rate per KWH depends, to some extent, on the amount you use. But the difference doesn't vary more than about NAF 0.09.

The average cost is about NAF 0.68 / US$0.39.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration