BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Teacher wanting to work and live in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Teacher wanting to work and live in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrice Christian (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 2:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Board. I am a teacher for the blind and visually impaired, my husband is a network security eng. We are wanting to move to Bonaire and work. Does anyone know if there is a need for specialized teachers and Information Technologist? We have stayed in Aruba for a month at a time and visited Bonaire. We fell in love with Bonaire and how untouched the Island is along with the wonderful people. Aruba also is a wonderful place and we have wonderful friends from the Island. Please let me know there is anyone I could contact about my and my husbands interest.

Thank you for your Time.

Bonaire Bound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2169) on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you speak Dutch or Papiamento you may have a good shot. In the past 23 years I have worked with the deaf (used to know ASL pretty well), blind, mentally retarded population, was a school counselor for 16 years have two advanced degrees in counseling etc..and cannot work here as I do not speak Dutch at all and do not speak Papiamento well enough. Good luck.

Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2762) on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 7:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good Morning Patrice, and welcome to Bonaire Talk.

There is a lot of information already posted about moving to and/or working on Bonaire,you can do a keyword search from the menu of icons at the bottom of this page, or you can simply browse the topic list. In general, if you are not a Dutch citizen, it is a hard road to travel; specialized skills are needed, and many folks who wish to move to the island start their own businesses instead.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By norm freedman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a high school reading teacher in florida teaching low level students to improve reading comprehension etc.
I also have a work back ground in the radio broadcast business as a disc jockey and radio commerical production/ music etc.
I plan on stopping by the radio station to say hello.
I would be curious about employment.
My wife and I will be on isdland for the first time diving June 7th for 7 days.
we can not wait to se e your wonderful island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2091) on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Teachers here must speak Dutch and papiamentu with Spanish and English as a 3rd and 4th Language. I know of only 1 US teacher here in the past 22 years. As for Radio, 99% of broadcasts are in Papiamentu, Dutch or Spanish. That does not mean you would not find a job here but it may be difficlt if you do not carry a Dutch EC passport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Theresa Kennedy Patton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the posts for a little while now and hope someone can help me. I am attending the medical school on Bonaire and have two children (12 and 14), who will be accompanying me. They will remain with me for their school year (August-May) and then back home. No educational issues as schooling will be online (they are attending boarding school the following August 2007).

My questions: I CANNOT find a three-bedroom apartment/house to rent while I am in Bonaire. Most landlords have not been willing to even consider my inquiries (due to my medical school status, although I don't know why). Any suggestions?

Also, what EXACTLY do I need to get the children into the country in a temporary residency capacity? They have passports, and current health records. Their father has given written permission. Anything more required? Since they won't be working, they pose no employment issue. Financially we are sound. The medical school provided my immigration documents already. Thank you for ANY input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #299) on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Theresa, someone posted this on another thread. You can look up information on the property by going to www.infobonaire.com and click under accommodations. I have no idea how big the places are.

quote:

By Jennifer Dufour (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 5:23 pm:
just for your information, the Kaya Amsterdam Appartments are for long term rentals (3 or more months)I just received a response from the manager.

Good luck with your venture (or should I say adventure!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By victor mena (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Theresa!,could you please tell me how that medical school work?,I mean,is it private right?,but is it only for english speaking people? and how much does it cost?.Sorry for not helping you in your questions,it´s because I live in Venezuela.Thank you very much in advance for your answers and good luck in your carreer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. DeGroat (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, September 9, 2006 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would jump at the chance to teach in Bonaire. Dutch father...I speak English and Spanish and a bit of Papiamento. I'm a female certified diver who has taught just about everything...from third grade to technology to gifted and talented to special education...and been in administration. Any real solid place to look...or I'm barking up an empty tree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2265) on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 8:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depending on the grade level, you would have to be fluent in Papiamentu for lower or Dutch for upper.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration