BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Mosquitos!
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Mosquitos!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Bennett (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that newcomers to the island get eaten alive by the mossies. I saw on a thread somewhere that repellant with 60% DEET upsets them, but our experience is that 60% DEET seems like candy to them and they like to lick it off as a starter before feasting on your blood.
SO - does anyone have any better ideas - what works either chemical or natural solutions would be good! Do blue light zappers attract them, does Citronella affect them ( we thought they ignored it)? All ideas welcomed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #308) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have used this with good results.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=7949401&parent_category_rn=4500560&vcat=REI_SEARCH
Be aware that this stuff is about 98% DEET and it will melt plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Quita Malouf (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dude, it comes in a plastic bottle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Allman (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 12:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

>Dude, it comes in a plastic bottle.

True, but it will melt nylon, damage synthetic clothes, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #236) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I'm sitting outside at night & I start to get bitten, I just use OFF! that I buy here at the grocery store. For me, it works great & I never get a bite after I apply it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We swear by Cactus Juice. All natural, as I get sick when wearing Deet. It doesn't bother me if someone else wears it. I can't. www.cactusjuice.com I purchased a kit with bug juice and tanning lotion too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I use Skintastic, unscented. We don't get even get a nip. When I don't use it, I'm mosquito fodder. At night time, I spray it on a small towel, and put it at the bottom of the door to avoid any bugs coming in via the crack. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #206) on Saturday, September 9, 2006 - 12:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

REI jungle juice (see post above) has been effective no matter where I have tried it. That said, it has melted a pair of sunglasses (nylon frame), melted the printing on the plastic bottle, etc.

In the jungle (not Bonaire), I have also applied a line of it to the floor of cabin right at the door threshold (large gap under the door). The idea was to keep insects from coming in during the night. The cabin was rustic with a painted cement deck and threshold. It peeled the paint right off the floor.

Personally, I will apply it to clothes but not directly to my skin. Also, I would probably not use it on small children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #514) on Saturday, September 9, 2006 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used Bite Blocker, it's all natural and safe for children. It's also Deet free. It worked great, we didn't get a single bite while wearing it. Check out the website www.biteblocker.com.
It had an o.k.smell on everyone but me, I guess it depends on your body chemistry but it really did work. It won't melt anything that I know of and it comes in several forms (wipes, spray. gel) it's a little bit on the expensive side too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1039) on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i agree with marge...we've had good luck with cactus juice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marge, et al,
The Safe Solutions website for the Cactus Juice product is www.cactusjuicetm.com

add the "tm"

We are testing it for bugs, burns, sting first aid, and bites.

Bud

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration