BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Bringing cats to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Bringing cats to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Bennett (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen many messages about dogs, but I have some questions about cats. Is there anyone on the island who is able to regularly cut the hair on a long haired Persian? I realise that we will have to keep her hair shorter than usual and try to stop it from getting tangled. in UK this is done under sedation (!!!) by the vet - yes it can get that bad if you're a long-haired cat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Bennett (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 4:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another question. Anyone trasnsported pets using KLM from Amsterdam? - I'd like to hear their experiences

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2865) on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Get a clipper and have at it Phil, it's not all that hard with two people. If your cat is a real pill, you can get a table with a armed rod with a collar on it to facilitate the operation. You could sedate the cat your self, too.

I used to clip long haired persians and himalayans at the start of summer. Y9ou afre basically going for a "puppy cut" except I would leave the face/head mostly alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 8:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Phil.

Seb's right--you're most likely on your own (unless Jane Madden and I go into the cat grooming business...hmmm, Jane?). There is (or was) woman who does dog grooming, but I am pretty sure she doesn't do cats. The good news is the kitties of Bonaire promise not to laugh at the hatchet-job you'll do--they've seen it before. Just find the quietest clippers you can and get him/her used to the noise. I have found that cordless clippers are easier to work with. You may find sedating yourself more effective and enjoyable :-).

I have never flown on KLM, but for such a long trip I would recommend (assuming they allow it) getting a soft-sided carrier and bringing kitty in the cabin with you.

Good luck with your move! Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2170) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

be aware that KLM charges a leg and a paw for pets. Depends on weight. A really big cat can cost a fortune..maybe you can train it to act like a wool scarf...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If they have a 'babies fly for free' policy you could dress him up, although you'll have to get pretty serious with the clippers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2869) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love the idea of dosing the cat and swaddling it in baby clothes.
I strongly suggest no one clip their cat while the person is sedated, you need your wits about you to clip a cat. Your sedation comes AFTER.

How regular do you think, Phil? Maybe we could work something out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Bennett (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, thanks for the suggestions, we've got 3 cats we are not leaving behind, so we're working on the triplets fly free idea! I doubt that anyone on Schipol airport has a sense of humour, so ther could be problems there!
Seb - are you ofering to help with the sedation of people of the clipping of cats???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil,

Best of luck with moving the triplets, I'm sure they will do fine. I think that absolutely they should fly free. Perhaps instead of listing the one cat as a Persian, you should list all 3 together as "siamese triplets', that way maybe you'll get the sympathy discount.

When we brought our 3 here we considered coming in through Curacao. When we asked (then called) Bonaire Excel if they would take cats, they said yes, but could only take one. When we explained that we had 3, they suggested we put them all in the same carrier. Clearly not a cat person :-).

If Seb provides my sedation, I will attempt to help trim your Persian. I make no promises about how s/he will look, but I'm sure s/he will be cooler, and I'll feel better too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky (PADI spy) Hauser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #629) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I second Alex's idea about cordless clippers - we have a really quiet one at my clinic that I like to use on cats. I'd be willing to help Alex trim the cat... but I only know how to do either surgical clips (read: naked:-)) or really BAD haircuts, lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

I thought I made it clear I would not be responsible for how the cat looked :-). I could provide a few photos of past work, but the cats involved might kill me...

A surgical clip would be perfect for the triplets impersonating babies, though...I think you need to head to Holland, and of course accompany them to Bonaire as their doctor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky (PADI spy) Hauser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #632) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For a plane ticket, I'd be there! Hmmm, maybe there's a future there, like the flying doctors service in Australia I could be the flying vet? Come on lottery:-)

Sorry for the brief thread hijack... now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

(Message edited by morgans4me on July 23, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vets Without Borders! You can save the Siamese triplet cats :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2873) on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, I would certainly be happy to mix up some post traumatic stress mohitos, or some proper Pimms Cups for a change, should I be on island.

Maybe I should start a cat clipping service on Bonaire, and deduct quarterly trips. Not a skill I ever considered highly valuable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just flew with our cat in the cabin to Bonaire, via AA to Curacao, then Divi Divi. Our vet recommended "Rescue Remedy" an all-natural herbal stress relief formula (designed for humans). You can buy it at health food stores. We gave her one drop directly into her mouth & it kept her calm & quiet the whole time. You can also mix it with water. I was doubtful that it would work, but it really did. She didn't make a peep, even on the Divi Divi flight! Not sure how well it will work when your kitties have to face the clippers, but it's worth a shot!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration