BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Need information on buying a house in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Need information on buying a house in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alfredo Valentine (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know this subject has been brought up quite a bit, but im seeking some specifics, if possible:
Im looking to buy a house in bonaire for around 80,000.00 to 100,000.00 US dollars. What kind of monthly payment am i looking a monthly with approximately 15,000.00-20,000.00 US down payment? Can i occasionally rent such apartment out freely? Can i open a checking and savings account at Maduro and Curiels bank and deposit money there from the states? What is the interest rate in Bonaire? What are the approximate expenses as far as gas electricity and water?
I would like to have a home on Bonaire for when I retire in 18 years, since Ill have a nice pension, plus if I can rent the house out it can help pay for itself. Im a Police officer and Firefighter here in Florida, who can I speak to about possibly conducting advanced Police training and rescue training. I am looking to buy a house with in the next 8 months.
I know its a mouthful but Ive gone to Bonaire several times and fell in love. Any information would be helpful.
P.S. I did email realtors listed on th einfo Bonaire site but answers were very vague.
Thanks in advance, see ya in Bonaire

Alfredo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #364) on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 5:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Alfredo & welcome..My advice would be the next time you are on island, is to take some time off & speak to the realtors in person & personally see what's available. Nothing like face to face one on one communication.
Additionally all the major realtors on island have web sites showing the available properties. I'd take my time & go through them. I believe mortgage financing may best be attained at home in the states by perhaps taking a second on an existing piece of real estate you own. To my knowledge mortgage interest rates are higher on Bonaire then in the states.
Best of luck in your search!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Marrero (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 6:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your story sounds similar to mine. I am in Orlando. Where in FL do you live?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2298) on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

The WEB bill for water and electric can be anywhere from 200,00 (Florin) a month and up ...I have friends paying 2,000 a month..mine averages 200,00 but I am frugal. You can build or buy a spartan house for your price range. Email me if you want to talk about building. You can rent it out if you register it and pay the 5% OB. I had USD wired to my MCB account all the time to build my house. I do not know the bank interest rates. Good luck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alfredo Valentine (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i live in fort lauderdale and work in palm beach. i will be going back to Bonaire in approximately 8 months. I find it an ideal place to retire to but I have to go back to find out a lot of specifics. I was cool that I met a retiree from Long Island New York with his Path Finder truck and the registration and inspection sticker on the window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy Doyon (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just bought a building lot in Bonaire and a colleague of mine bought a small 2 bedroom house. I've been to Bonaire twice and fell in love with the island immediately. Being a scuba diver helps, the diving is so very pleasant and with shore diving availability quite inexpensive. But the people are also nice and the atmosphere is so relaxed - it's just a great place. I used Sunbelt Realty and found the people there very friendly, knowledgeable and they had a wide listing of properties. Obviously the closer to the beach you are the more expensive it is, but with global warming on the horizon I'm not sure I'd buy one of the many condos for sale that are literally right on the beach. Prices are pretty reasonable now for homes and we saw many residences in the 100,000 to 165,000 range. I think this will change as more and more people discover what a great place Bonaire is. Water is expensive and I think the amount of development on the island will be greatly influenced by the amount of water available. I wouldn't be surprised to see new construction limited within a decade or so. Currently the drinking water comes from the desalinization plant on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ...boom dee ay (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1818) on Saturday, July 8, 2006 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sean and Alfredo - your stories are similar to ours too - hubby is a fire captain and swat medic, I run an equipment company. We just discovered Bonaire through this site so we're still trying to get all of our eggs together to visit and see if it is our retirement spot :-) We only have 5 years to go and oh so much to do!! I hope you'll keep us posted on your plans!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Stanway (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 1:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have used Sunbelt Reality and found them excellent. We complete on our House 19th August 2006 and Sunbelt have looked after us all the way.
I would recommend them.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration