BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Import taxes?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Import taxes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am preparing to move to Bonaire this summer, and I've gotten in touch with Amcar in Miami, concerning shipping of my belongings.

I have heard that residents get a one-time tax free shipping, but unfortunately I cannot become a resident until next year (for tuition purposes at my school here in the US).

I have been trying to find information about what kind of items are taxed, is there a web page that explains this?

I have been told that computer equipment is tax-free, but 'household goods' are taxed.

I am specifically wondering if (used) text books are taxed? What about used kitchen stuff? I would hate to pay tax on a used spatula, for example.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a reliable resource it would be greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #200) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jenny, when are you moving?

You also might try a keyword search for "tax" at the bottom of the page (specify the "Moving to Bonaire" category.) The topic has been discussed in length in several threads with most of the input by folks who live on Bonaire. There is a lot of good info there.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm moving in the beginning of July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just found this link in an old thread, thought I'd post it here in case anyone else was wondering....

http://www.sunbelt.an/bon_tariffs.htm

It says that there is a 10.5% tax on computers, but I was told by a Sunbelt agent last month that computer equipment is tax-free.

Is there a tax on computers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #204) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, Jenny, you need to add a pic to your profile:-)

Hopefully someone can answer your specific questions:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2180) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was told bringing in computers was duty free but when in doubt I always check with Rocargo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is Rocargo?

What about used books? Are these taxed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #513) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm pretty sure computers are free of import duties, but are still charged the 5% sales tax (official tax name: NAOB) when brought in. There's a lot to know about importing, and what's taxed and how much (and don't forget, import duties are added on top of what you're paying for freight, and then the 5% NAOB is charged on top of that). For example, if you want to be totally correct re: your computer, you should also know that if you take it out of Bonaire (for repair in the US, etc.), there's a form you have to fill out at customs so that when it comes back, you don't have to pay the tax again. I advise using the experts at Rocargo to handle your paperwork. Rocargo is Amcar's agent on Bonaire: info@rocargo.com or 011-599-717-8922-ext 4 is Patricia, and she helps me with this stuff all the time. (BTW, today, 4/17, is a legal holiday here-so they're closed).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jenny,
Would it be cheaper for you to store your household stuff and bring them down after you get the residency? That way you don't have to pay import and sale taxes for your belongings.
There are furnished rentals on the island. You just have to bring your books, computer with you when you fly down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I already own the house, so renting another is out of the question. I plan on buying most things when I get there, but I have some things that I'd like to bring right away. Most importantly:

books
guitars
aquaria
clothes
computer & printer
sewing machine

How do you estimate the value of used clothes? Who determines the value of your items?
I would really like to know if there is a tax on books, since this is what I will be bringing the most of. Anyone know what the tax is for musical instruments?

When I fly, whatever I pack in my bags is tax-free, right? They won't be able to tell me from any other tourist, & I never paid any taxes on stuff when flying there before.

How long does it take to get residency? Can you apply for it without being on the island? I'm moving in the beginning of July, is there any chance I can get my husband to apply & get residency before then?

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions... just ten weeks til the big move!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #292) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jenny,

I would second calling Rocargo as Ruth suggested. The rules change constantly and they will have the most current regulations and fee scale. Getting information from any of us who have been here a while is likely to be out of date.

As far as your luggage, customs can and often does search incoming luggage and will impose fees on whatever they choose and whatever rate they choose to charge.

As Cynde suggested you might want to do a search as I am sure residency has been discussed in depth recently.

Again, I would follow through with the folks who deal with these things everyday, IE; Rocargo, Patricia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 6:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,

Customs can't charge tourists bringing their own personal belongings, right? For example, if I come as a tourist with my laptop for my own personal use, customs can't arbitrarily seize it and force me to pay taxes. that's just ridi culous. maybe it's really like that, but it doesn't seem very tourist friendly and it has not been my experience in traveling to Bonaire in the past.
------

regarding the tax-free one time shipping for residents....

Does this count per resident or per residence?

in other words, if two people were to share a home on Bonaire, do they each get a tax-free shipment? any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jenny,
I visited Bonaire a few times before moving here. I've never run into any problem bringing my laptop to the island as a tourist.
I think the tax free shipment is per family. When you apply for residency, they will ask if you are married or single and they ask proof for either case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2040) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any items that are new and in the original carton are subject to duty. If you are charged, you can leave the amount in bond and have it returned to you when you leave. It really never happens as a rule, but recently folks were charged becuase they did bring some items that customs felt were not for their personal use. It does not pay to try to "put one over on them" Generally they are pretty reasonable ane willing to give folks a break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WHUDS (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Those of US at the medical school have found out that we pay a duty for anything that is shipped in, the computer no duty but 5% tax is true, Customs told me that if it comes in a box it's new even if it is used. They expect you to have a receipt, the only way to get around this tax is to bring it with you on the plane. I had a suitcase as extra baggage sent here and had to pay duty, if it was on the plane it would not have and I'm a resident and was not offered the "Free" one time. I would also suggest to speak with the cargo people since they are the only experts in moving these things here.
Also allow extra time for it to get here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #169) on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks to everyone who helped Tim & I with information and advice. we are here on the island now & have received our shipment. if anyone has any questions about the moving / shipping process, i'd be happy to share my experience.

thanks again to all!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration