BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Horses in Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives 2006-01-01 to 2007-12-31: Horses in Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Malo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, my husband & I are looking at houses in Bonaire. Was wondering if anyone has any information and owning horses there. We know there are at least 3 barns/stables and horses can be rented. Was wondering about shipping, feed, vets etc. Looking for horse property but boarding is an option if anyone offers it. Thanks, Kyle in New England. USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4501) on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 8:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT Kyle!
I know there is a place to go horseback riding on Bonaire, but this is something we have never done. It is very dry on the island,and although donkeys seem to fair "pretty" well, I'm not sure if there is enough grassland (any) to graze horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1435) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We know someone who has horses on Bonaire and their hay has to be imported from the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Malo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I figured the hay is imported. Knowing how ya'll don't what more cars there, horses would be a great way to get around. Figured there'd be more. Brian, any chance of getting prices from the person you know? Hay, grain, vet. services etc. Cost of shipping a horse to the island? Any laws to prohibit riding in certain areas etc. How about the possibly of boarding if we can't find property resembling a farm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #960) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most of the island is undeveloped. You should not have trouble finding kunuku property. Some Antilleans have weekend houses there, and I know an American couple and a Dutch couple who have built their homes there. You would need to generate your own power and drill a well. The kunuku is beautiful. My next door neighbors kindly drove me around for several hours recently. I even saw cattle there, and, of course, horses and some crops. You would find plenty of dirt roads for riding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Malo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tish, but what is "Kunuku"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #981) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kyle,

A Kunuku is the basic Papiamentu term for "farm". It would be best to contact one of the local real estate agencies to see what is available.

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #965) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kunuku means both a rural area (the country) and the fields and farms in that area.
On Bonaire, some people live there, and some just plant crops and keep animals there. Much of the island's interior is kunuku, with dirt roads threading through it.
Since the island looks something like the southwestern US, you might prefer to think of the occupied kunukus as ranches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona of Black Durgon Inn & Scuba Center (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kyle,

My dad has had horses on Bonaire for the last 15 years. You can email him: bonaire@blackdurgon.com with any of your questions.

He has been through it all...hay, vets, transporting,etc. His name is Al and he would be glad to answer your questions.

Rona

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1454) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what I understood talking to a friend with horses in Bonaire, hay is pretty much a luxury, and very expensive for a quality that my horses up here (also New England) would look at and walk away from. Not mildewy but very dry and coarse.

Her horses mostly are fed a complete feed grain, with a bit of hay when available, as well as palm fronds for something else to chew on. I don't think you're going to see many chubby horses in Bonaire. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Malo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 7:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all!
Rona, Did e-mail yer Dad! Susan, my horses are used to our cows hay so they'll eat anything. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #961) on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I asked my friend Marion, who runs the Kanuku Warahama on Bonaire about bringing horses from the states. She said that it would be a cruel thing to bring them from home because of the change in climate and conditions. She said one would be better off getting one from the island or nearby South America where the horses are aclimated to things in the caribean already. She said it would bring too much stress to them and would not advise it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Malo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Lorraine, that's probably very true with lots of warmbloods but Quarter horses are very hardy & adaptable. I've raised my horses from babies and couldn't leave them behind with just anybody. Bad enough to sell most of them first , then have to pick out which one (or 2) to bring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #962) on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marion has been running Kanuku Warahama for over 20yrs. She is a very knowledgeable horse women and cares for her horses with all her heart.
Maybe the next time you come to Bonaire you can make arrangements for her to show you around the ranch and maybe get some insite to owning horses on Bonaire 1st hand You can find her #'s under horseback ridding.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration