BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Question about 90 day rule
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Question about 90 day rule
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marji Keith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
My husband and I are buying property on Bonaire and plan to spend summer vacations there. The idea is that I go for all of June, July and August with our 2 kids and my husband comes for about 2 months of that time. If we stay for a full 3 months - does this mean I cannot come back in the winter? It's 90 days for the full calendar year, correct?
Also does this apply to the entire N.A. or could I still visit the other islands after the 90 days are up?
Thanks... this is just the first of MANY questions.
Marji

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #397) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi marji, welcome to bonaire talk. i asked a similar question a while ago so i'll pass on the info i received.

the 90 day rule is as effective as the person who enforces it. the way i understand it is that the rule is there if the government feels the need to get you off the island and possibly keep you from coming back for a while. in other words, if you don't cause trouble you can stay 90 days, leave for a while (not sure of current rules) and then come back for another visit later in the year.

i have also been told that the only constant is change. what rule they are going by now might not be the same one they will use in a few months (or weeks).

the rule used to be that you could stay 90 days, leave for 48 hours (go to aruba, miami, venezuela, puerto rico, etc.) and then come back for another 90 days. that has changed to the current rule.

i know this isn't much help but it's the best i can do now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 7:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pat...Just my 2 cents worth here..One would think the government would be a bit more precise on the requirements. Especially considering the renewed interest in the Bonairean Investment climate to get people to invest..Possibly this will be discussed at the upcoming investment conference. If you purchase property down there, an off island owner should know exactly how long they would be able to use the property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marji Keith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 8:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince,
That is exactly what I was thinking. We are investing - (on a small scale - but it is an investment for us)- We really want to buy 3 properties. My question is specifically to figure out if one of those three should be on another island so that we can actually use it ourselves. We prefer all three on Bon partly because the logistics of renting it out and partly because we love Bonaire. I read the entire investment document prepared in 2003 and there was no mention of the 90 day rule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - BSDME (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marji,
You have mail,
Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 7:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marji..I agree..This is a material issue which should be made crystal clear & at present it isn't. Personally I don't like ambiguity especially where my dollars are invested. Obviously Bonaire seeks to attract captial & they would be better served to clarify this issue for off island owners who wish to stay in excess of 3 months (as a tourist) but yet not chose to live there all year round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teresa Hemphill (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 12:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 90 day rule is very unclear to me. When my husband,Denny and I move there in 2008, does anyone know if it would be better to become a resident or stay a visitor? I will have to return to the States to work which will mean that I will leave and return 6 times per year. I will stay in the States for approximately 24 days at a time and stay about the same in Bonaire. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #858) on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Teresa, the Netherlands Antilles will case to exist half way through 2007. Nobody knows what the rules will be after that. We know Bonaire will become "a part" of Holland, but we don't know what that means. And by "we," I mean everybody on Bonaire. Even if you got the head of Immigration to talk to you about this, he could not tell you yet.
For example, we are guessing Bonaire will switch to the Euro in mid 2007. But that's a guess.
The tax rates are very high down here, so my hunch is you will not want to become a resident, whatever the rules become. As a resident, I pay huge taxes to the Netherlands Antilles plus I'm still taxed by the US. I suggest you avoid residency if possible. If you find you must become a resident, in 2008 sit down with a tax accountant on Bonaire and devise a plan. The accountants here seem to have a scheme for others which gives them a sedula without incurring taxes. I don't understand how they do this, but it seems to work.
But wait. Asking questions here now is pointless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teresa Hemphill (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 12:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tish,

Thanks for the info. I will hold out for as long as possible, as long as "they" let me keep coming and going when I want, or should I say when I must so that I can make a living.
Teresa

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration