BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Medical insurance for 3 month stay?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Medical insurance for 3 month stay?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marji Keith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 5:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is complicated.
What would be the best option for medical coverage for a family traveling to Bonaire for 3 months who is currently uninsured. -We live in Italy where we are covered (supposedly) by the state - hence no private plan. Can we buy medical insurance there? Would this fall under the category of travel insurance? Do EU countries cover their citizens even when abroad making it unnecessary to buy insurance?? I have no idea how this works. Any help would be appreciated. (by the way I am American and husband is Italian)
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Paine (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Petersen International Underwriters. They offer coverage written by Lloyd's.

http://www.piu.org/

Their web site claims to be intended for insurance agents and brokers. I've used their office in Los Angeles, which you can probably search for on the web. They specialize in expat coverage.

Interesting side note. The price of coverage is doubled iff you want to be covered within the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

are there even any kind of medical facilities on the island?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1355) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings Shawn and welcome to BT! Yes there are medical facilities on the island. That is a major concern for me because I have some allergies that can be fatal if untreated. There are a few medical people on this board so they can probably give you the run down. I have seen the hospital, but thankfully have never had to use it. I hope someone on island or who has experienced the medical system can better answer you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15317) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, they have a medical office (with a Doctor(s)) just across the hospital for non emergencies. I had forgotten to get a refill on my Insulin Resistance meds, and got an appointment with the local doc and he was able to get me enough pills to get me back home.

The hospital is across the street (in town). It has 35 beds, and everyone that has posted that has had to use it, has had nothing but good comments. There is a problem now however, according to the Bonaire Reporter:

quote:

...San Francisco Hospital is on life support and the hospital administration is threatening to pull the plug by blocking admission of new patients to the hospital and closing the operating room...

So, there may not be a hospital in the near future if you have an emergency on island. The Dive Chamber however, is a separate operation and is in tact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well that's no fun, I was just thinking to myself maybe when I'm done with school if I really enjoy the island I could come be a nurse there ;). That's good to know though in case I ever have an emergency. The girlfriend is pretty clumbsy and you just never know. Plus she's deathly afraid some shark is going to get her lol, so maybe telling her there's a hospital nearby just in case will ease her worries some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15323) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn...your dream is like a lot of others...living and working on Bonaire. Unfortunately (for US and other non residents) the first jobs are given to the Dutch and the Antilleans, and then if there is no one that can fill the job position, they accept other applications.

The hospital isn't closed yet, keep your fingers crossed that it all works out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marji Keith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, December 3, 2005 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone use IMG global? What about PIU? do you use PIU Mark? IMG's website is a lot friendlier and explains the different plans in detail. Just wondering if they are reliable.
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - BSDME (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #224) on Sunday, December 4, 2005 - 6:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marji,
You have mail.
Susan

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration