BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Summer Abroad
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Summer Abroad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a college student in the states and I'm absolutely in love with Bonaire. I've been there twice, once when I was 8 and then again to get my dive cert at 13. I'm interested in spending 2.5 months living in Bonaire for the summer (June-August) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me as far as lodgings/jobs. Also, I would really like to try to be a bartender but I'll be 20 by then, which isn't old enough to bartend in the states, but hopefully will be in Bonaire. Does anyone know the laws on that? Thanks for all the help, and I hope to see you guys next summer!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings Sean. Bartenders and waiters on Bonaire generally speak English, Dutch, Spanish, and Papiamento. Pretty impressive, and necessary given the international visitors. As a foreigner you would also need special permits to work and they are unlikely to be granted. Are you perhaps studying something of relevance to any research projects in Bonaire? If so, you might be able to arrange an unpaid internship. Good luck with your efforts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why are these special permits hard to obtain? Are there certain jobs that might not require one of these (I suppose taxes are the issue)? I don't really care how hard it is to get a job there, I will do everything in my power to move there for the summer. If you have any other advice please help, this is something that must happen. Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14040) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 12:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, Bonaire is another country. In the US, to be able to work "legally" you need to be a citizen, or have a green card. On Bonaire, the residents are Dutch and Antillean, Bonaire is part of Holland. I know that locals can help expand on this:-) I also believe they are very strict on the policy as well (paying taxes, etc.) And as Nathalie has stated, you would also need to know Dutch and Papiamento for certain.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #330) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 6:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Use the BT search engine to read previous threads on this topic. You will find info also under "Moving to Bonaire."
You cannot work on Bonaire without a work permit, and you can only obtain one if you have already obtained a job. Then your employer applies for your work permit. But work permits are only issued if NO Dutch citizen can do the job.
Clearly, this is very unlikely for a college student.
Sorry, but these are the rules, set by the government and enforced by Immigration.
Dutch young people often come here on unpaid or low paid internships, but they are Dutch citizens.
As you have already been told, you would also need to be fluent in Dutch and Papiamentu.
Most Americans who stay here are either retired or wealthy enough to set up their own business, and that also requires a permit and a long wait to obtain it.
I am unaware of any way around all these restrictions, and I live on Bonaire.
Sorry to give you bad news, but I suggest you try an American island instead.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well then.. I guess I'll have to think about this a little more than eh? Thanks for the help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Besco (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 8:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Take heart Sean almost all of us have had the same idea as you. Youth is on your side. What motivation to learn Dutch. You are overdue for a visit to Bonaire. Excel in College so you can have the means to spend time on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #337) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, since it will be almost impossible for you to find work on Bonaire you might try one of the USVI or PR as they are US islands and all laws are the same as at home. Guam in the Pacific is also a US island. something for you to think about.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 10:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's hard to settle for them when you have Bonaire on your mind, know what I mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14044) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tish, I knew someone that lives on island could explain it in more detail.

Sean, don't go for PR unless you are fluent in Spanish. I have a friend who has moved their with her SO, and she knows no Spanish and will not even get an interview unless she does. USVI is a good option, and you might try the BVI's as well. the TTOL board has fora for both of these. www.traveltalkonline.com. you might want to try posting your question there if it intrests you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder, would it be possible to simply live on Bonaire for an extended period of time while possibly holding a job in the states that doesn't require you to stay there. For instance, if I sold products online, I would not need to physically live in the US, but I would do business from there and then reside on Bonaire. Is that possible, not that I have anything close to means like that, just a possible loophole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #331) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Immigration does not permit people to simply come here and stay indefinitely unless they achieve residency status.
However, they do seem to permit three months or so, while requiring that you go to Immigration now and then to request an extension on your visa.
If you sold products online from Bonaire, you would need somebody to ship the products from the U.S. You would need internet access here, which is expensive, but obviously can be done, and you might find the Netherlands Antilles would expect you to pay taxes, on top of your US taxes. But maybe not, since the business location would ostensibly be in the US.
Long-term, you could set up your own export business here and get residency, but then you would pay double income taxes, to the US and to the AN.
It is a clever idea! Perhaps Jake will chime in here with comments? He knows oodles more about this than I do
Another possibility, Sean, is for you to get certified as a dive instructor. Now and then a US or Canadian dive instructor lands a job on Bonaire. Again, knowing other languages besides English helps. And I believe you would be expected to already have experience as a dive instructor. I don't think you could get a job here fresh off your certification.
Unfortunately, you might go to all that trouble and then find that the available instructor jobs could all be filled by Dutch citizens. It would be a gamble.
I am a writer. Do you have any talents along those lines? Some kinds of writers can live anywhere. What's your major?
I like your determination! Good luck!!!!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Arietta (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I;m a physics and computer science major.. not exactly a writer.. haha. I am excited to hear about the 3 month extension though, that at least serves promise for the time being while im in school. I am a diver, but no where near the instructor level. Do you know how long it might take to achieve that level? By the way, you guys are amazing in terms of response time. I've never had posts on any forum answered this quickly!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #332) on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not a single 3 month extension. Probably you would have to show up at Immigration now and then for smaller extensions.
The problem is that Immigration keeps changing the rules. What they might be when you arrive, nobody knows. But I have a friend who manages to come here for three months per year and manages to get extensions. So there's hope!!
As for physics and computer science, those could be valuable skills. Again, Jake Richter might have a notion what kind of job you could land here with that sort of degree--once you complete it. Some Antilleans have computer science training, but I have not bumped into an Antillean physicist on Bonaire.
But you would need to have excellent skills in Dutch and Papiamentu. If you want to make your dream come true, start learning those languages!! :-)
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By victor mena (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings from Venezuela to everybody in the the beautiful island of bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try sailing there from the US...that's what I plan to do - someday! Than you can anchor out away from the marine park and row your dinghy in and kick some sand up (or is it salt?).... :>) Of course there are ways of living by secretly work for room and board with a house owner.... if you got my drift - "Drift" - got it??? In your dinghy?? I'm just kidding around (again) I don't take much seriously anymore... Tomorrow the sun will rise again (so will the South!)

jiminiŽ think I'll go back under my rock.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1179) on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG Jim! I'm dying here! Are you from Illinois or Georgia? LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG Jeanine don't die, I don't want to be responsible for your death! I'm from Illinois, born and raised...hate it- waiting for retirement so my ship will come in (NO, go out with ME aboard)

I'm live aboard bound asap, hopefully next spring... going to try live aboard here if I find the right boat, problem being I'm not sure what I want..... Dah! The real problem is that I live inland from the Great Lakes by 90 miles so all I have is a river to live on... which isn't bad but I want a liveaboard as a sailboat and sailboats and rivers don't mix... Not deep enough and too many low clearance bridges for a high flying mast.... So I'm stuck here, landlocked, in a job I came to hate, watching the clock tick til retirement -tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick...

jimini

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration