BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Age old question
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Age old question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 2:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!

I am new to the discussion board and was wondering about the process of moving to Bonaire? As with anyone else who has been to the island I fell in love! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josh Schrank (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Step 1: Win Lottery.
Step 2: Share with Josh
Step 3: will be told to you after you complete step 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was afraid of that... Now seriously! I might like to open a business. I was just looking for insight and ideas! And for the levity I think that I might be able to rustle up a little cash for you Josh if I do in fact win! Any help is appreciated!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josh Schrank (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve... To become a resident on the island, you have to have a job on the island. Our plan is to open a B&B as soon as we have our house finished and sold here in the states. In order to do this, it was suggested we start a corporation on the island and then make ourselves employees of said corporation. That gets us past the "job" requirement.

Give Alexandra Dólleman a call at the DEZA (Department of Economic and Labour Affairs) office. She is super friendly and will help you out with forms, information, etc. You can reach her at +(59 9) 717-5330, Extension 521 or 236 or email her at: info@bonaireeconomy.org

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very interesting way around that! That is a great plan. How far away are you from moving? I really appreciate your input and help with this and the referal to Alexandra! Hope that you have a great day.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1976) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steven, welcome to Bonaire Talk. You might want to try:

http://www.bonaireeconomy.org/
and
http://www.bonairehomes.com/

to start.

I hope others, with more knowledge post more leads/links for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1830) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do you want to know what BT'ers want you to open? Here are my personal preferences:

1. Indian Restaurant
2. Book Store
3. Health Food Store
4. Gym for Locals with AC and good equipment
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josh Schrank (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

Not to side track Steve's thread, but um.. I'm going to for just a sec. My wife is a publisher and we thought about doing the book store thing, however freight on books to Bonaire is astronomical! The volume you'd have to move to make it profitable is just too great for the amount of customers there are. :-( Now, if one of the general stores opened up a book section, I think they could turn a profit by including it with their other shipments...

Okay.. back to your regularly scheduled "help me move to Bonaire" thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1831) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BUMMER JOSH...well, I go off island enough to stock up..and there are so many lending libraries and I have a good buddy who shares books with me and vice versa..but..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #748) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Guys! As you know we just completed this process. Expect everything to take at least 1 year! You will need to get your residency papers, managing director(s) licences and work permits. Also, you will have to go to the Notaris (the govt. lawyer) to get your coorporation established, then that has to go to DROB for review, then to DEZA for approval. It is a lengthy process. Also, DEZA can approve or disapprove part or all of what your corporation might want to do. Be sure that you check out what licences are still available (e.g., you cannot get a dive shop licence, they stopped approving them as they feel there is enough on the island). Just be sure that you cross all your t's and dot all you i's before you start. Best of luck!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is all wonderful information! I greatly appreciate it as I have said before! I am well prepared to do just about any type of work but I was thinking about importing some "inexpensive" trucks! I know that vehicles and inexpensive do not go hand in hand... I am sure that would extend the time frame of getting everything together.

Liz just a quick question for you, Were the people @ DEZA accommodating and helpful? I am so happy to see someone like myself follow there dream and do it! You guys are an inspiration! By any chance do you need any help? lol:-) I guess I just need to figure out a sustainable business!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1977) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 9:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Back off Steve, I have first refusal on the Groundskeeper and Poolboy positions;-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One last thing for now,

Hello Josh, Tom, Ann, and Liz!

It is a pleasure to "meet" you all!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish Dace (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie,
Do you know about Roselord on Kaya Kanari? It is small, but does stock some health food items as well as vitamins.
Steve,
I agree with Ann's list of what locals would go for here.
And pay attention to what everybody is saying about getting the permits in place taking a LONG time.
Good luck! Bonaire is a fabulous place to live.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1835) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No Tish..thanks for the tip..I see little Tokos around that seem health oriented but need to check them out.

Yes, my permits took a long time but I was in no rush. I just got my real cedula as the machine is now working..and was told I do not need re entry letters ANYMORE..yaahhhh..

I am still trying to figure out the tax situation..unfortunately for me, an English speaker/reader, everything is written in Dutch so I have NO clue what anything says or is...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Purple Twins (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ann,

If you need any translation, I would be happy to help you.
You can send it to me, or just leave it when I come to you in September. Just let me know. If you know somebody else, that's fine too.

Dénise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #191) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, Immigration has changed the rules about those re-entry letters. I have heard we still need them if we are away over 30 days, but not for 30 days or less.
As for Bonaire taxes, go to an accountant. The taxes are very high. Quite a shock!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I am getting very excited! What a concept to work towards something you actually want to do! Is there a need for more vehicles there? I am aware of the expense of bringing them in, I remember only a few of places that sold cars/trucks. Although a health food store would be nice!!! I really am enjoying BT!

Steve

p.s. Tom maybe you could work first shift and I get second!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1837) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NOOO..too many cars in BON....(IMHO)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1034) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was amazed last May at how many brand new souped up cars the young guys are driving around with !! Big difference from oh say 5 to 10 years ago!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A lot of people are selling vehicles, but we really do need an Indian restaurant! :-)
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise,

When I was there last I noticed the same thing! Such a diverse group of cars! So I guess I should take a different approach than cars. Just thought that with my background I could maybe bring in some nicer affordable trucks, not gouging people on prices!

So Tish I am guessing that you love Indian food? Not to familiar with cooking Indian, however I am a good cook and been known to make a good curry!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1839) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stephan,

BON has the best dining spots...my GOODNESS..but we lack Indian Food. Lucille used to have a WONDERFUL Biryani when she was on the waterfront.

With the high concentration of medical students of Indian descent in BON, I wonder if they might also frequent such a place?? I know three East Indian medical student room mates who were US born and lived on the stuff.....just a thought...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #197) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I love and cook Indian food. Still trying to learn to make chapatis properly though.
We have Thai and Indonesian food on island, but no Indian restaurants. We have a few Indian families living here, plus the med students whom Ann mentions.
Lots of Americans, Dutch, Surinamese, etc. people living here like spices, so a reasonably priced Indian place should do well. (Personally I think we have plenty of expensive places and don't need more.)
I heard a while back that the family who own the Bonaire Super store would build an Indian restaurant next door to it, but nothing seems to have come of that.
On the other hand an affordable truck would be nice too.
And books, well they would be wonderful! :-)
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

All input is appreciated!!! When I was there last we ate at Lucille and loved it. It does sound like a good idea, it is just that most everyone that I have ever known that got into that line of work lost there shirts! I want to do something productive for everyone, not just myself! Are there opportunities to volunteer?

What about housing, prices seem to be pretty stable? I could go on all day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOTS of opportunities to volunteer.
In addition to the obvious ones such as the animal shelter and the donkey shelter, check out all the NGOs (non-governmental organizations).
The Bonaire Reporter is running a series on these now. If you do not have an online subscription to it, get one and read the last few issues. It is a superb newspaper, by any standards, and it will tell you soooooo much that you need to know about Bonaire.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ellen Muller (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #364) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie and Tish, you need to read the local papers (e.g. Extra) more often! LOL! A new Indian restaurant opened last Sunday. Kumar's Cafe at the Xavier University School of Medicine serves as a cantine for the school but is also open to the general public...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #199) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It opened four days ago, and you already know about it? I'm impressed.
Thanks a bunch, Ellen!
Now, please post this on the restaurant thread!!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

See Tish you were onto something! I guess I should have thought about that a year ago! I do subscribe to the Reporter and love all of the info! Being a cat person I am looking forward to volunteering at the shelter. Last year at Lion's Dive we had three great "guest" cats Enjoyed feeding them and never meet cats who appreciated being pet so much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Went to Kumar's today. It's named after the baby. Nash and Andy are nice, but it's mostly not Indian food. They serve sandwiches, burgers. They do have one or two Indian dishes per day, simple things. I tried the beans tonight. Nash thinks they will not run this place more than a year. So, Steve, you could still start a real Indian place.
About cats, get in touch with me directly. I have comments to make. :-)
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #751) on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, depending on what you want to do Deza is great! They worked well with us but as with everyone else very slow. Everyone on the island is great, just everything is on "Bonaire Time" .. Kinda like "Miller Time" LOL.

Tom is right Steve, he does have first dibs, he just has to wait until the kids are older and out of the house.....But I am looking for a night manager...(sorry guys and gals, will hire local).

Please no more cars, but we could definitely use an Indian Restaurant.

Ok, see you guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Molly Kearney (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

This is my first post- I was in Bonaire earlier this month, and I, too fell in love with the island, and I'm considering making the move. The big dream is to open a gift store- does anyone have any advice on this?

I plan to take a smaller step, first, and spend a few months there, hopefully starting in July. I'm coming from the US - Is it better to book a hotel for a week, and look for a long term rental in person, or try to book the long term rental sight unseen? I did find sunbelt realty and remax web sites. Are there others?

Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions- I appreciate the help and guidance.

Molly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Molly!
Welcome to BT!
We have several gift shops already. Never having owned a business, I have no idea whether another one could survive.
But you're doing exactly the right thing by coming here for a long stay. That will give you time to learn the rules and start the process. Be sure to read this entire thread for the advice already given to Steve.
I would think you would save money by not booking a resort, but there are a number of less expensive guest houses (two of them owned by active BTers Liz (Golden Reef) and Brigitte (Cocoa Palm) where you could stay while you look for a house to rent. On the other hand, if you spot something online that looks good to rent long-term for a great price, grab it.
Hope to see you at Gibi's on a Tuesday night.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1076) on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 7:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Molly, also check with Benny at Bonaire Town Homes for a place to stay. They have lovely, very reasonable, bungalows, with full kitchens. July is slower than winter for him, so he may well have something long-term available.

I've just booked for next February, my eighth stay with them -- and it's very comfortable and safe for a woman staying alone. I spend about half my time on Bonaire alone.

Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Molly Kearney (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the replies, tish and josie.

i've read the entire thread, and have a question re: prolongation of stay and the timing of booking a long term stay and extending the return flight. my thought was that i'd book my trip for 2 weeks, find an apt and request a prolongation of stay. then i'd switch my flight to return in 3 months or whatever. does that sound right?

hey steve, it looks like we're both doing similar research- there might be some benefit in sharing our findings. let me know if you're interested.

it's all so exciting!!

molly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Molly,

I think that would be great, any and all info that we can each collect will be useful to the both of us! What do you think that you will do there for work if you in fact move there? It is very exciting isn't it!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Molly Kearney (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

steve,
oh good, that would be helpful. maybe we should take this "offline"- what's your email address?
molly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2781) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 3:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

While I certainly applaud your efforts, I would vote against another gift shop. Although I was thinking about this over the weekend (while wearing my tshirt from the Donkey Sanctuary.) Maybe someone could open a similar shop for the Flamingo Sanctuary? "All Flamingos - All The Time". lol. I'm rambling..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Molly,
Immigration keeps changing the rules. Impossible to keep up with it. But I gather they are easing up on visitors. A friend of mine is spending the summer here without a problem. Another friend spent three months here this winter without a problem, except she had to keep going to Immigration.
You plan sounds good. You could probably even book your flight for the dates you want. Be optimistic, and then reduce the stay if you run into trouble?
Hope you make your dreams come true!! :-)
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Molly Kearney (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for all the encouragement- you guys are great!
hey one more question- where can i find an email address for immigration?
molly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just have to say that I love all of the people who are kind enough tot send help here! Tish especially!!!! I am trying to work out some thing "catty"... I will be in touch with you soon
And thank you all so much, I hope that we will all be close friends soon!
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iris Rivera (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about a fast food restaurant, McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts or even a starbucks, what do you think? I was there last week and I couldnt find a place for a quick breakfast (dunkin donuts) or quick lunch, other than subways and KFC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1175) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't think so, why eat rubbish when the food is so good already. Fast food, why do we want that when we have surface intervals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (Juh-neen) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #897) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been lurking on this chat since I too want to end up in Bonaire (but will probably do it for retirement). I just want to make a plea....NO, NO, NO, McDonalds, Burger King, etc... One of the best things about going to Bonaire is that those types of places are not there. The two fast foods that are there are a joke. It took 25 minutes to get a sub and 10 minutes to get a drink at KFC which we had to throw away because their CO2 was messed up and the girl got her manager (or whatever the woman's title was) and she just kept pressing the button and dispensing more horrible liquid in a cup and asking me to taste it. Finally gave up, said it was ok and promptly walked it to the garbage can. See how bad it is? Don't add to the atrocity. We don't need the waste or the commercialism associated with the large American fast food companies to invade Bonaire. (Pretty please, no...)

How about a good, original lunch cafe type restaurant. You know, quick deli sandwiches, soups, chips etc. Freshly made and with attentive people who understand that divers want to be diving not wasting time eating. Maybe: Divers' Deli!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #409) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So Jeanine, it's your opinion that the local residents, making average/low salaries should have only the Chinese (11 of which were closed during last health inspections, but quickly re-opened), and/or snack bars to eat from, and take their families to if they want a night off from cooking? Those are the only other types of food-service here in the price-range of KFC. Minimum wage here works out to $715/month (before taxes). Take a look around the next time you're here, visiting a "regular"/resort restaurant, and count how many locals are in it-dining, not serving. Then look at all the people serving you in other ways, such as: cleaning rooms, filling tanks, pumping gas, checking you out at the grocery store, etc., and think about how they live here every day of the year.

I'm sorry it took 10 minutes for you to get a drink at my restaurant, but the cashier did what she was supposed to do when she couldn't handle the situation--call the supervisor, and from what you say, the supervisor tried to please you (which she must have thought she did, since you said it was okay). For this, you're posting blanket statements about how we're a "joke" and an "atrocity"? You think I don't live here? Your statements are harsh generalizations, and without thought about what it's like for many people who live here full time. We started this business primarily for the resident population, and about 90% of our sales are from them. We've been open 11 years, and serve around 15,000 pieces of chicken a month (or as Brian would call it, "rubbish"), every month.

Iris, to answer your questions: the resident population is too small to warrant the larger chains, like McD's or BK. Starbucks does not want to expand into the Caribbean at this point. Don't know about DD. "Quick" is just not an island thing, and it probably never will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (Juh-neen) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #899) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth...YGM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2375) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The previous deli on the island closed before the end of the last century. I can't remember it's name at all, but I used to pick up Port of Call there. It was good.
Diver's Deli I thought was the large resorts with breakfast buffets when the guests make their lunch from the buffet and smuggle it out.

Ruth, is that the complete labor cost for a minimum wage worker, or does the employer kick in more to the government as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2085) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb, I remember that deli, miss it a lot, don't know why it closed as it was always busy when I was on island. Anyone know? Can't remember the name been so long. But you can get good cold cuts at the Bonaire Supermarket and we have made great subs/sandwiches with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4157) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And Ruth, remember, the BOYS did want to do to your place (and thank you for having them, I know the hoppner boys had a GREAT time, thanx to Tom and you and your staff.)

I know I'll be back in October to eat some chicken.

Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #410) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb, the employer's part can be from about 15% and up on top of the wages. I'm including our version of 'social security,' health insurance, & workman's comp.

Seb & Debbie, you're thinking of the Sandwich Factory. Cozzoli's, also good sandwich makers, is gone too. I'm not sure of their specific reasons for going out of biz, but in most cases it's just lack of volume, and extremely high overhead costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #411) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 6:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, always happy to host the Hoppner kids, and help out visitors treating them-just give me a 'head's up'! See you next month-you here on the 23rd?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4160) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, small change of plans. Arriving on the 15-th, leaving a week later, so around the 22-nd. Are you on island??? :-)

Angela will be there longer. Arriving 2 days earlier and leaving a week later... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2369) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, do not forget Angela, Darlene, Denise, Smack and yourself. That day without a doubt, holds some of the best memories of time I have ever spent on Bonaire. The laughter of the children as they chased fish and each other while we swam and snorkeled. The smiles, on both the children's and adult's faces (especially Angela's). The hugs those little fellows gave so freely.....,I would love to repeat it next month, if it could be arranged. Wish Denise could be there with us again:-{)}

Ruth, I remember your hustling to make sure everything was perfect for the children, and it was:-{)} I will be back as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2370) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry if I rambled above, I spent a bit of time today reviewing the cd of photos Darlene and Denise took of that afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #412) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I probably will be, Martin, though perhaps a bit dazed after Regatta week...
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14444) on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 9:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, if you and Smack are game, if we can't do the snorkel thing, I thought I'd deliver KFC to the boys one day. I'm trying to get ahold of Astrid, the new director to see what I can do. Ruth, how much "heads up" do you need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4162) on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 12:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, I ditto that.

Ruth, be prepared for an invasion of Dutchies. (My cousin will be on island as well)

Cyn, great idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1176) on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth my rant was more about the Burger Kingdoms whose best advertisment to their location is the build up of their litter on the streets, I don't think Starbucks would change Bonaire that much. I can't comment on Dunkin Doughnuts as I have never been in one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #413) on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

An hour's notice should be fine Cyn-I'll e you my private tel numbers later. Gotta go see where my containers landed (Katrina delayed our supply ships leaving Fla 2 weeks ago, so now everything is here at once, and we're all over-loaded!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1672) on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde,Tom, Martin!
Count me in!!!! That was one of the most rewarding days of all my trips!!!! To see those kids smiles above the water and below was just heartwarming and they just loved to have those smiles captured on the camera!! And the smiles and laughter that was seen and heard as they enjoyed their favorite food at KFC when the snorkeling was over made it a day to remember for ever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 11:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth,

It is not just the locals that appreciate your KFC, some of us tourists do too (although in a couple of years we plan to be "locals" once the house is built on the property we own and I retire). When we visit Bonaire we usually spend three weeks minimum and we try to live as we anticipate we will as "locals" in order to reinforce the idea that a permanent move to Bonaire will work for us. I'm happy to say we think it will, and that comes in part from having KFC as a good alternative to "eating in" and expensive "dining out".

- Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #415) on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Barton--you're on the right track, since you realize it'll take a couple of years to build a house (assuming construction has already begun)...
;-)

It's been said before on BT, but is worth repeating: If you can swing a visit for +/- 3 months, that'd give you an even better perspective, since the difference between visiting & living here is vast, especially if this will be your only residence in the world. I moved down in '90 and Bonaire has been my only home since then. There are definitely many adjustments to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 2:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ruth,

We won't start on the house construction until middle of next year so I guess "a couple" could be three years :-).

Unfortunately, taking a couple of months off of work, while very nice, doesn't seem to be in the cards for now so we will be taking a risk. That said, since my wife is a dive addict (although not in Oregon's "cool" waters) and I am a recovering windsurfing addict (Columbia Gorge), Bonaire appears to have at least two of the attractions we drive or fly many miles to get to now. We are not "big city" people either so as long as we have access to books and the internet I think we will be able to keep ourselves amused :-).

If you have time, I'd be very interested in hearing your "top five" (or so) items that were your biggest adjustments. We have thought about this at some length (we have owned the property since 1998) but guessing at the adjustments and living through them are clearly two different things.

Thanks,
Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #390) on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Sandwich Factory closed because the couple who owned it separated. Sad for them and sad for us. Somebody else should start another one.
Ann Phelan managed to get her new house built quickly, less than a year, surely? How about it, Ann? How long did it take? Your contractor was speedy, huh, although you did move in before he had finished.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1943) on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My foundation was poured in late Nov. but then nothing much happened until Feb. 1. It was finished Aug. 1. The landscaping is not going to happen for a long time and my kitchen cabinets need some finishing touches. I had 2 and 3 men working on my house. They were AMAZING and are ready for a new job ANYTIME. Honest and wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #416) on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some general adaptations/comments, in no particular order:

Since I moved from DC to Bonaire, and had had a full-time job there, the hardest thing to adapt to was the weather here. You know how it is if you're working, and you get that first day of spring/summer, after long dreary Jan-March? You don't want to sit in your office--you want to call in sick & go to the park and enjoy the 75 degrees & sunshine. So, when every day here is like that, it was really hard develop the self-discipline necessary in order to work here. I had to keep telling myself, tomorrow will be the same weather, tomorrow will be the same weather, the weekend weather will be the same...

Being away from US family & friends--well, that I still don't like. And that it usually costs around $400+ to get to MIA and over $600 to get to EWR (NJ).

I miss being in the US for days like Thanksgiving & 4th of July. I miss big, leafy green trees. I miss the dramatic change of seasons like in DC/NJ--spring & autumn up there are beautiful times. But now that I'm here 15 years, I'm used to these seasons (and we do have seasons, just much more subtle). I try to visit the US for the seasonal changes--which is just fine, because I don't want to stick around for Nov-March's yucky cold, grey days. I do love my 7 palm trees & seaview (that practically makes up for everything!).

One thing that wierded me out: seeing the doctor, who just gave me a gyno exam that morning, sitting next to me at a bar that night.

Having to be so organized, it's almost an OCD. For example, I import Pro Plan's "Indoor cat formula" cat food. I had to time how long it'd take my 3 cats to go thru 8lbs of food (3 wks), so that I know how much I have to have in stock, and when to re-order.

Knowing that you must buy fresh milk by Sun/Mon, otherwise it'll all be gone & you have to wait till the next Thur/Fri when the ships arrive. However, this is much better than the first 7 yrs I lived here, when it was never available. I just could never get used to the long-life boxed milk's slimy texture, or powdered milk's taste, which were the only choices back then.

Well, that's enough rambling for now. My comments about time vs house building were more about what I've seen happen to people who are not on the island when their house is being "built."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ruth!

If all goes well for us, your first adaptation (working with when the weather is nice) won't be an issue as we will be newly retired :-). Of course, there will still be work to do, what with the new house and all, but we get to set that schedule...

The discussion about the cat food may have answered another question I had which dealt with importing items. I was told a few years ago that it was possible to "hitch a ride" on the weekly Rocargo shipments from Miami. So, if you really wanted something that was not available on Bonaire but was of a size reasonable enough to ship, that you could have it sent to the Rocargo office in Miami and they would put it on the next ship out - you would pay a prorated amount for the space/weight the shipment occupied. If this is true, then the lack of local availability of unique items doesn't mean they are impossible to get at a semi-reasonable price...

I know what you mean about holidays - the last couple of years we have been either on Bonaire or in Indonesia on dive trips during Christmas. I think it will take a few years for red ribbons on palm trees to invoke the same Christmas feeling that cheery lights and decorated trees creates when it is rainy and d***n cold outside :-). However, if this is the worst of our adaptations, I think we will be able to tough it out :-).

Thanks for your experiences on this topic. They mirror what we have suspected would be the types of adjustments we would need to make. Since we have been thinking about this for a while (maybe too long...), I think we have started to make some transitions already so the "shock" will be much less.

Best Regards, Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #417) on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, forgot about getting used to sunny & warm Christmases (sp?). Don't even think about that anymore, and just ordered new lights for my palm trees... They'll be shipped with my next cargo from the US (I import about every 6-8 weeks, with Amcar, Rocargo's agent in Fla.). My experience is that the landed cost here is about +/- double what it cost in the US, after shipping, import duties, etc.

Another adjustment I forgot to mention is being surrounded by 3 other languages. As retirees you probably won't experience that to the extent I do. Unfortunately, I do not have a gift for speaking languages, but by now I do understand a lot of Dutch and Papiamento, in context.

I have an "adjustment" exercise for you: do all of your shopping before 6pm, not including 12-2pm (clothes, hardware, etc), and all of your food shopping by 7pm. You may go to the hardware store until 4pm on Saturday. Then, only food shopping on Sundays, until 2pm--nothing else may be purchased on a Sunday. I'm so used to this by now, when I get to the US, I find myself rushing around trying to finish shopping by 6pm...then remember how many stores in the US are open till 9pm, or even 24/7. It may sound silly, but there'll be that day, when it's a Saturday afternoon, and you think you have everything ready to paint your kitchen, except you forgot to buy a roller...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14496) on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth...need any small things brought down when I come in October? I always have room:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, thanks for all the good info and tips.

I'm not great with languages although I did have high school Spanish but with 40 years of non-use... :-)

Regarding the "adjustment exercise" - each trip to Bonaire takes a "reset period" for us to get back into the swing of things regarding store hours. Hopefully we will soon be used to the hours and nothing we will be doing (other than perhaps the milk purchases) will have any level of urgency.

Based upon the discussion so far, I think my wife and I may just be able to handle the necessary adjustments - at least we will surely give it a go :-)

Thanks, Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #418) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cyn--what's the largest economy-sized bottle of valium available at CostCo?........
;-0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #376) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the US you must have a prescription from a doctor to obtain Valium and then only for 30 refills at a time.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3146) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andy, I'm pretty sure she was just kidding. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14503) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, I'll pick one up for you, and one for me ;-) and I believe the GDLW is correct ;-) LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3148) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, I'm in on the KFC run for the Hoppner boys also, and cannot WAIT to meet you in person. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4170) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, I bet you girls will have a ball!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #378) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thought about that after I had posted. Was busy doing 2-3 things at the same time and the statement just did not register appropriatly until later when I reread it. But thanks for taking me to task, I needed it today,lol. Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14507) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andy, I'll pick up a bottle of valium for you too...;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Tweed (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That would really make that Costco card a lot more attractive. Not that I'd start eating Valium all day, it's just the serenity that comes of knowing you have a bottle on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #420) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, "serenity now, serenity now".......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Perlowski (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 2:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo Ruth! That is one of my most favorite quotes.

This has been a very informative and interesting string! Love to read and hear about what is going on in my most treasured place on the planet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #380) on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cyn, I could sure use them. Andy

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration