BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Car dealerships
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Car dealerships
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Holian (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you are to buy a new car or truck on Bonaire, what makes are available? Is it better/cheaper to do this or to import your own car if done during the 6-month tax free period when first becoming a resident?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #777) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick...Welcome!

We just made the move. We chose to bring our own car as #1 it was paid off and #2 and most important it is a convertible!!!!!

Anyway, you can get Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Mazda, Chevy, Ford, Isuzu and some others on the island. If you want a wider selection, then go to Curacao and looking to purchasing there.

The types of car though are a bit different. We don't have the Toyota Hilux (4 door crew cab, small) in the States and the same goes with the others, though you can order familiar types. Cars are expensive here compared to the States though. We looked at a diesel Isuzu D-Max (a great 4 door crew cab, about the size of a Ford Ranger, maybe a little smaller). It was basic and cost 38.000,00 Naf or about $21,000.00 US.

Also, if you are going to bring a brand new car in from the states, you WILL have to pay duty on it if it is less than 6 months old. Also, you cannot sell any car that you bring onto the island for a minimum of 3 years.

Also, there is the question of if you you bring your car, can you get it worked on here? I have an older BMW that we brought and we did some investigative work. Before we moved we purchased new tires, put them on the car and kept the old ones for extras down here. My husband is handy and also brought fuel filters, hoses, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. I was informed by a local dealer that is anything major needed to be done, there was a dealer ship in Curacao and we would have to ship it over to there to be worked on (not to bad really). Also, we have a NAPA auto parts store here with a garage attached...probably could order stuff if you needed it.

Now I've probably confused you more.

Hey, Bring a car and buy one here....solution solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #244) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One further word of caution, Patrick. A car made for the US and the same car made for the Caribbean are not identical under the hood. Therefore, a US car could confuse a Caribbean mechanic.
I brought a car to Bonaire which has presented interesting challenges in terms of getting repairs even though in theory there is a dealership for my make of car and in theory it services that car. But it does not! So I do a lot of improvising.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 1:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please do not bring any more cars to this little Island, the last 2 years too many cars where brought to Bonaire! You can find a car you like here!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #228) on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess Jeroen told you car loving Americans! Leave your Lincoln and Caddys at home...

jiminiŽ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny redner (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

is auto insurance required in Bonaire?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration