BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Job Opportunities
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2004-12-31 to 2006-01-01: Job Opportunities
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob van Stekelenborg (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are considering moving to Bonaire next year and I was wondering what the opportunities would be for me to find a job.

I am Dutch, and I currently live in France, 37 years old with a university degree in industrial engineering, and currently working in the Logistics area. I am willing to take any level job, not necessarily in Logistics (but it would be nice).

Any inputs on my chances?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #264) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can you bar-tend?

In most simple terms, other than tourism, our "industries" are Cargil (owns/runs the salt pans) & BOPEC (Bonaire Petroleum Corp-manages oil holding tanks for Venezuela). There are smaller companies that do construction (land & marine), like piers, hotels, homes, etc, but I'm not sure how much they need, or if they could afford, an industrial engineer.

But, you never know--it sounds like you haven't been here yet--if that's true, then spend some time here & knock on some doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob van Stekelenborg (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth,

Thanks for your answer. In fact I was on Bonaire before, but I must admit I was not really focusing on work at that time :-)

But as we fell in love with Bonaire and their people, we are considering making a drastic change to our lives. And about "affording an industrial engineer"; I don't expect European salaries, but just as long we can make a living, that would be ok.

And if someone like me with industrial or wholesale/retail experience is not required, I guess I need to change my career path here... But first I would like to find out if there could be a need for someone like me

Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wietse Lam (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone,

I'm also thinking about moving to bonaire. I'm from the netherlands and fell in love with the island last year.
my girlfriend broke up with me 2 weeks ago(she's from curacao and she's got lots of (really sweet) family living on bonaire) and it's time for me to plan my future and do what i really want, enjoy life and work on a place i love.
I'm not educated but i've got experience in social working, a snackbar and right now i'm working at a gass station, which looks like a bar when i'm working at night, so many people coming over just for fun.
By the way, i'm 23 years old, i speak dutch, english and german very well(and a couple words papiamento). I'm a hard worker and always entertaining people.
I hope someone reads this post and can offer me a nice job (no matter what). Or i should save some money, come over and knock on some doors.
Let me know!

Wietse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #265) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wanna buy a restaurant?
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wietse Lam (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

if you can lend me the money....;-)
if i can find some money (lottery) i will ruth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shannon McCormack (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

long-time browser, first-time user of BT - not really sure how it works, but here goes.

i am wondering about a short-term rental (3 months) with high-speed hook-up

Anyone have any info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth,

Are you selling the KFC?

I'm sure you're not refering to Mangos. You CAN'T sell Mangos! You and Jan have done a great job with the place. If you sell Mangos, where will I go to get my fill of Dutch beer trivia? Jan is the expert. Ever since our last trip, I can't picture a Bonaire trip without an evening of beer sampling with Jan.

No, it won't happen. I forbid it!

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #5141) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave, why don't you and Leslie buy Mango's and move here. Then you can invite Jan over anytime you want to discuss Dutch beer trivia ;-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

I can see you're still working on that stand-up comedy routine......

I've had enough of the food industry business when we owned the grocery store (and thank goodness we were able to sell it!!)

But to be honest with you, your idea is not original - Leslie actually said the same think several months ago when I mentioned to her that Ruth and Jan were wanting to sell Mangos. the scary thing is that I believe you were more tongue in cheek that she was! I think she was dead serious!!

Being a Bonaire Business Owner may be in my future someday, but right now I need to concentrate on getting my daughter through college.

We may stop in and see the new estate in October - if I can get Leslie out of the water. The whole crew is comming down (Mick, Barb, The Rincon Athletic Club, and a few newbies), so we will be causing trouble all over the island, especially at the Rose Inn (and I may even eat there this trip.....).

Later,

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #271) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KFC is not for sale--that's my baby! Unless of course someone comes along & offers millions, then just about anything is for sale...
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12256) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 1:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, all that I can say is that I missed meeting you last time I was on island...salitos...I know:-( no longer available...maybe I can get them bootleg from the US...like prohibition...hmmm...must ponder...glad KFC is not in threat:-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #272) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, I had forgotten about Salitos...they were fun. But we'll top off your bottle of Bright with Bacardi Lemon--a very close 2nd place! (And just as dangerous-man, they sneak up on you!)
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eileen gordon (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

any work for dentists and dental assistants?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Someone has taken to topping off brights with bacardi limon................another example of Bonairean civilization

cheeseit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #274) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eileen-how's your Dutch & Papiamento? I don't know for sure, but any position that requires more skill than bar-tending (and even w/bar-tending, speaking Dutch & English helps), is going to require the local languages, & I'd guess something equivalent to "board/licensing exams" (in Dutch).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven hoffman (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about jobs for old dive instructors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marabeth Owens (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #165) on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just how old are you talking??? Can you haul tanks? Not that I have any jobs but many of the DM's on the boats are really Instructors.

I know that when I enquired several years ago it was a come down and let's talk situation.

Mara

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven hoffman (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - 1:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm 42 and have been teaching since early 80's. I can still carry at tank or a tune given the right time of day. I probably will need to check more when I am there in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip M. Goerge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 1:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My question is this.
I am 39 yrs old and would love to move to Bonaire and not sure what type of jobs are available for my skills:
16 Years Emergency Medical Technician in the US.
14 Years diving, Rescue Diver cert, currently working on my Dive Masters.
18 Years in Technology for Mortgage Banking.
Currently involved in a Volunteer Recruit school for fire fighting, which is a 5 month course to include all areas of fire fighting from fire suppression to overhaul and cleanup.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marisela powers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi is any body there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip M. Goerge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been wondering the same thing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marisela powers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

well we are here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marisela powers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And either of us have a job or live in bonaire!!!
ummmm, so we may not be very much help for each other...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip M. Goerge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

True, I have been there twice and love it.
What kind of work were you looking to do their?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marisela powers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

somebody.... anybody... i need a job there... chef needed?? any one... very good food... hello...talking to a empty shell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip M. Goerge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Too be quite honest I don't think you will get much of a response. Your message is the first I have seen in 2 months.
Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5582) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phillip can I help you as well as Marisela??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip M. Goerge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope so, my post of November 14 stated that I would love to move to Bonaire, my skills include such things as computers to include networking;Emergency Medical Technician 16 years.
Will be graduating from Chesterfield Fire Volunteer Recruit school at the end of February which I will be certified in Fire Fighter 1 & 2, Hazard Material Operations, Vehicle Extrication, and other forms of technical rescue.
I am PADI Advanced / Rescue Diver certified.
Thank You in advanced for any assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5583) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phillip if you are looking for a life on Bonaire.. Please do a keyword search using the quote marks on .. "moving to Bonaire"

there are people who live on Bonaire that check the boards regularly, they may not be available just at this minute but they will check the threads.. Hang in there and ask some questions that is a sure way to get a response.. Good Luck
Freddie Hughes
Co-Moderator
www.oldbonairetalk.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5584) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Phillip., In my opinion the best thing to do would be to go to Bonaire and ask your question there... Go to the City Hall, the fire department, the paramedic organization.. they would really be able to tell you if they could use you or not.. Also that may very well be a second kind of job on Bonaire, I know it is volunteer job where I live.. What other skills do you have??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4371) on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phillip, Bonaire has a medical school on the island now...you may want to check there also....
I think the language is the essential issue...3 languages (am I correct?) Dutch, English, Papaliamento. Steve my husband speaks spanish..and he seems to do well in talking with the locals (Papaliamneto)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Miller (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow... I visited Bonaire in 98 with my family for a dive vacation. I LOVE every part the island. The people were amazing, the diving was world class and everywhere you go you see something beautiful. I would love to buy a home on the island but I keep hearing that work permits are hard to come by. Are there any openings for construction oriented individuals (maybe Cargill?), maybe dive shop opportunities (boat divemasters, retail shop employees, tank tecs (VIPS, Crack tests, etc)...

I have been diving since I was 12 yrs old and Bonaire is by far the BEST local for GREAT all around diving.

My father owns a dive shop here in MD and I have worked there for over 9 yrs on and off. I think this would be great experience to have as well. I dunno, I saw the post and thought I'd throw one out. You never know what could happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadja Gosseling (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey!! I am a 24 year old-single-mum and I desperately want to move out of Holland. Basically I am looking for a job and a place for my son and me to stay so any good advise is welcome! It'd be a good start to start in a restaurant/hotel/pub/etc. So I am also looking for a daycare or a sweet nanny for my baby.

My dream is still to open up my own restaurant but it is hard working and I dont want to do it all by myself. So... I am looking for people who are , like me, young, and always looking for challenge and adventure who are seriously considering open up a business (with me) but are in the same situation.

So... If somebody can tell me where to look for a job (maybe internet-site) or are you that person who might become my partner in business, let me now!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Puskarich (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Nadja,

I'm not a single mum, but I'm looking to move to Bonaire as a PADI Dive Instructor...I heard there was a shortage of those on the island!! ;)

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadja Gosseling (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey Jason,

well, i did send a message back but i don't think i did everything as i should have... it still isn't posted... hmm... woman and computers....
Anyway, I still didnt really found anything 'suitable' but it's fun talking about it anyway... just wondering.... why do you want to move to bonaire???
Nadja

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Puskarich (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Nadja,

There are many reasons...the people, the atmosphere, the diving, the fact that I am young and don't have any responsibilities to keep me in Chicago.

My interactions with the people of Bonaire have been nothing but positive. I think about the island every single day..several times actually. It is where I belong and it is where I will end up.

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadja Gosseling (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey you!! It is so funny that everybody i speak is so enthousiastic about the island! My colleague is from Bonaire and she cant wait to go back there.
In Holland there are quite a few people from the islands over there and most of them are so eager to go back... If not for the family then for the sun... :-)
(we all have our reasons... hehe)
Still looking for a job but it seems that there are more things to do in Curacao!! Before that wasnt an option for me but now i am wondering... If i am there i will come and visit you anyway... :-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael vespa (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hello
I am 41 with a wife and 2 boys ,we all want to move to bonaire I have been going there since 1977 I have seen a lot .I can swing a hammer,make a drink, or build a boat canvas,and yes I have all the tools to do so (or sew) please let me know what is out there.housing is not a problem my house on bonaire is paid for in full

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #831) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, Welcome to BT!
I don't have time to give you a long answer, so I will provide a short one and suggest that you read a lot of threads, including archived threads, which deal with moving to Bonaire.
The short answer: You live in the US, so I assume you are a US citizen and that you do not speak fluent Dutch and Papiamentu. These factors, if true, put you at a huge disadvantage in trying to find work here.
To employ you, your boss would need to prove that no Dutch citizen is available. I suspect EU citizens might have an advantage over you as well, but not sure. And very few people would be willing to hire somebody who spoke neither of the local languages.
You would also find the salaries very much lower here than in the US.
If you have the money to start your own business, you would need to apply for permission and wait quite a while for a response. And the language problem could still make it difficult.
Since you own a home here, presumably you already know some locals? Speak to them about your dream. And the next time you are on the island, visit prospective employers.
Meanwhile, work on learning Dutch and Papiamentu!
And I hope you can make your dream come true!!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration