BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Voltage Converters
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Voltage Converters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 7:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please could somebody tell me if voltage boosters are available to buy on the island. I am looking to take 127v to 220/240v for european appliances.
Many Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #5139) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The same transformers sold by Kooymans and Playa Trading which take 127 down to about 112V, will also take 127 to about 230V. Just have to change the settings.

Please note, however, that many accommodations and buildings have both 230V/50Hz and 127V/50Hz outlets - check with whom you are staying to see if you even need to get a transformer.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A curiosity question: if the accomodations have the two voltage ranges (but are not using transformers to get the 230v) wouldn't the higher voltage be close to 254V, which might make european appliances run a little hot as well?

In the US we get 220V by using two phases of the 110V, I suspect that might be the approach on Bonaire as well. Only if they are using the special transformers will they actually get 230V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Klun Bun (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be aware that electric clocks don't run on time because of fluctuations in Hertz, today 50H tomorrow 60H.I used to have that problem all the time on Bonaire. Just buy an old-fashion wind-up one.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration