BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Take my car with me??
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Take my car with me??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dur (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I live in Sweden and bought a summer house on Bonaire. Can I take a car to Bonaire without getting problems with the customs? I will not move permanent to Bonaire, I will still be a resident in Sweden.

How can I get the car registered on Bonaire? Anyone who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3424) on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, Ron! I do not have the answer you are seeking, but I'm certain someone will be able to help you out with your questions and concerns. Nice to have you aboard with us! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Cabus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #276) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 3:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are you entitled to ship one container with household goods without paying import tax? If so, you can bring one car as well. Otherwise you will probably have to pay import tax and OB.

Check-out the following page:
http://www.sunbelt.an/bon_tariffs.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #214) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It might be easier all-around, if you contact the car rental agencies, especially the smaller, privately owned ones (not Avis, Hertz, etc), to see if they rent cars long term. I think some do, but don't know which ones. That would save you the expense of shipping, import duties (if any), maintenance/repairs, road tax, parts if it's not a vehicle available locally, etc. And you also wouldn't have to worry about it while you were away. There used to be one SAAB, and a few Volvo's around....we mostly have Asian cars from Toyota, Kia, Mitsubishi and US export version Ford's. Parts & repairs can be the hardest thing if it's not a common car. I'm not sure about the 'free import of household goods' rule if you're not going to be a permanent resident, but perhaps your real estate agent knows. If nothing else, there are many used cars for sale here, that you could probably buy for what you'd pay to ship one from Sweden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1314) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are entitled to bring your car here, I believe, free of import duties if it has been registered in your name for more than 6 months.

Ruth, that Saab is still here, but I imagine getting parts for it would be difficult indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1787) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The only way to get the one-time duty free import of household goods and car is to have a Bonaire Resident Permit. And you have to use the exemption within so many months of receiving the permit. I don't how many months that is.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration