BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Moving to bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Moving to bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marieke maas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hello,
my husband and me are planning to the island by the end off 2004. We already toke care of employment but we need a house.
We like to rend before buying and we are looking for a house with min. 2 bedrooms for about 800 naf. Can anyone give us advise how too handle this.Info about living daily on the island is very welkom to.
thanks for your reactions,
greetings, Marieke from nederland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4765) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marieke,

Being on-island is the best way - lots of resources to find rental places that way. If you can't do that, contact the real estate and rental companies on Bonaire, and also take a look at the Te Huur section of Bonaire 4 Sale (PDF copies of this flyer are at www.bonaire.biz

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1246) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can establish the contacts now, but I'd advise waiting a few months until you get closer to your arrival. There's a lot of coming and going here, so you never know what else pops up on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maxine van Bommel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey,

I'm planning on going to Bonaire, but am having trouble looking for a job. I'm just trying to find something simple like waitressing and I want to find something before I go. Where should I look?
Thank you. M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1307) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Maxine,

When are you coming, and for how long? Most restaurants are reachable by e-mail so you can apply to them that way. There are always spots opening as people leave, especially in May and June.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maxine van Bommel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Marc,
Sounds good,to answer your question, I'm leaving Holland around the 1st of August, earlier if the jobs come and I'll be staying there at least for 3 months. The thing is that, although i can use the internet I have a lot of trouble contacting people, as the replies are quite vague or don't come at all, I also have not much experience and will only start to work when I finish my exams in May. Then I will work before I come for about 2 months so right now I have not much to put on my C.V. It's not very impressive. Would it be better if I just go, if I can't get a job this way and walk around there finding one? Or does anyone know if I can use contacts in Holland to get a job there? Thanx.
Maxine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Keep in mind that you'll be here for the slowest months of the year (aug/sept/oct...) which may limit your options. Be sure to study bartending to increase your chances of being hired. Perhaps start working for the van der Valk system--maybe if you're paying all your travel costs & living expenses they'll consider hiring you in Bonaire, etc. "Waitressing" may seem simple since you've never done it, but work weeks here are usually 6 days/week, and minimum wage in the restaurant sector is fls 1.115/month or around fls 6-7/hour(of course tips can increase that, but taxes will also take their toll).

I think you'd still need a permit to work here, which may be why no one is interested (yet). Work permits cost money, are a hassle to apply for, the potential employee may not be on the island as the request is being made (can take 2-6 mos), AND, an employer willing to do a permit for you & hire you legally has to prove that you have skills an Antillean doesn't.

This doesn't mean that employers don't hire "illegals" but it does mean that you shouldn't count on this form of employment as a steady income. You may want to consider some form of internship in whatever you're studying now instead, and having your school help find you a placement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maxine van Bommel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay,
Well I have definately look into VanderValk and am calling the headquarters here in Holland this weekend. The reason though, that I am not coming earlier during the summer is because I am working in Holland before I go. I do not need a place to stay as I am living with my extended family on the island so either way I did not expect the pay to really cover all my costs. What months are really best to go though? Thank you, Maxine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1312) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maxine, there are no bad times to go. September will be slow, but October is busy and fun, with the Regatta in the first week. If you already have place to stay without too much cost, you can certainly try to come "op de bonnefooi" and find something once you're here.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration