BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Architects
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Architects
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Robinson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am requesting recommendations of architects on Bonaire. I'm interested in architects who specialize in small residential design and are interested in sustainable/low impact building practices.

Thanks very much for any insight you all can provide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4737) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 11:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you find one, let me know :-)

If I find one, I will let you know!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Robinson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 1:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jake:
Well, that wasn't the response that I'd hoped for, but I'm not surprised. I'll keep plugging away on this and let you know what we learn. I plan a trip to Bonaire this spring to conduct some research in person, and hope to make a decision at that time. My first choice is to work with an architect on Bonaire, but of course there are other ways to go.

It sure would be nice if some of the local architects had even a simple web site. It would at least give me a starting point if I could see some portfolios (of course I know I'm preaching to the choir, here).

I can see by recent postings that one of the key issues to construction is to secure all buildings very well to the ground so the mosquitoes don't carry them away.
Marlene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1646) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try the info at the bottom of this page -
http://www.infobonaire.com/realestate.html

There are a couple with web sites and email addresses. They have faxes too so you might have to resort to the old fashioned method :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie Meyfarth (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marlene, sorry I can't answer your architect question, but I do have a suggestion. One way to contribute to low impact building is to make sure the building in sited to take full advantage of Bonaire's almost constant trade winds, and the windows are located to give good cross ventilation. This makes for comfortable conditions without airco almost every day of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jan van der List (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Belafonte place in Belnem was done by Architect Mr. Enrique Gasco Sabate.He is a kind of local architect. Actually I think he is from Venezuela, but he speaks english.The Belafonte resort looks very good and must be very good since Dutch prince Willem Alexander stayed there during his stay on Bonaire.I know Mr. Sabate did some private houses too. You can reach him at gasco@bonairelive.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Robinson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the information, everyone. Natalie, I very much appreciate the notion of taking advantage of the tradewinds. This is one of the reasons I'd prefer to work with a local architect - because hopefully they will understand and work in harmony with the local conditions.

Jan, I did by chance meet Enrique on our last trip to Bonaire, and had a good conversation with him. We plan to talk with him further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

We are having a positive experience with a local architect in Kralendijk, if anyone needs or is interested feel free to email me with questions or if you want my comments.

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3136) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carl, you two are very serious about that sandy lot up on the hill, aren't you! I'm green with envy....that is our dream, to live on Bonaire. Sounds like you are going to make yours a reality. Go for it! Thanks again for the pics of Kaya Turkesa #7....can't wait to be there. It was wonderful of Patty to drop by my office this week to share your pics and tell me all about your great trip. It is such a small world! You look "mahvelous" in your pics!! Ayo. Carole

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration