BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Education for the Deaf
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Education for the Deaf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JayVon Muhammad (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be moving to Bonaire in September. I've already used this forum to get information about elementary education. I have 2 elementary aged children.

My next question/issue is about my 3rd child...She is in middle school in the states, and she is deaf.

Are there any programs in Bonaire for deaf children/adults?

Thanks,
JayVon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1336) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good question! I used to work in the deaf community and have NEVER seen anyone using ASL or Dutch Sign Language..at ALL..let me know what you learn please?

My child had ASL as a second language in her school and I have used it off and on since the 80's but am not so proficient. I had a deaf student last year who had a cocular (sp?) implant in Nov. She was born hearing but had a disease at 6 mos. She chose to be educated in a hearing setting and does very well.

I have a sense there are no services here but I could be wrong..

Does your child use ASL? Signed English? Tell me more..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JayVon Muhammad (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My child uses ASL. She currently attends the California School for the Deaf, BUT up until this year she was mainstreamed in normal classes.

She does well in mainstream classes as long as she sits in the front and the teacher talks slow -being mindful of her disability.

Neither I, nor my husband signs. We've always talked to her. She was born hearing and at the age of 5 she was hit by a car as a pedestrian, suffering head trauma. She has excellent speech!

She doesn't HAVE to be in a deaf program, but it would be best...

Are you a teacher?

Thanks,
JayVon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Nesselrodt (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was an interpreter using ASL before moving to Bonaire. But, like Annie, I have never seen anyone signing here.

Tim W. Nesselrodt
Owner/Property Manager
Ocean View Villas
http://www.oceanviewvillas.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #277) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been thinking about what an advantage those who can sign must have underwater. Much less ambiguous than the hand signals most divers come up with. One of these days I'll have to make an effort to learn it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1280) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One of the gentlemen who fill tanks at Carib Inn is deaf, I know he signs, and Linda at Carib Inn also signs, I believe she certifies deaf divers as well. She might be a good source for information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #194) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I actually got a chance to dive with a deaf buddy off San Diego last year and I was amazed at how well his hand signals (for diving and ASL) communicated. Truly a pleasure to dive with. It might serve us all well to learn a bit more ASL.......I know mine is weak

Joe..........who's waiting for the plane right now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1721) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are a number of deaf citizens here and they mostly lip read. One that comes to mind is Winfred Dania, an accomplished painter, who works for the dept of culture. As for mainstreaming a child and having them sit in the front.....schools are taught in Papiamentu and Dutch, not English. There are schools in Curacao for hearing impaired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JayVon Muhammad (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If this is the case (all instruction in Dutch and
Papiamentu) how do they teach new students to the island. Is there a special Dutch class, etc...

Just curious since I have 2 other English speaking elementary school students to enroll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10185) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've moved this thread to "Moving to Bonaire."

JayVon, good luck:-)

Cheers!

Cynde Lee
Bonaire Talk Co-Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1723) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The schools do try to work with the kids, but the language is Papiamentu and Dutch and there really is little in the way of money to hire teachers for foreign students. Young kids learn quite fast. You can hire a private tutor to supliment the lessons in school. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1337) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Jay Von,

I am a school counselor having worked in public education since 88. I have worked mostly with special needs students and have also worked in the deaf community as a counselor.

I think that having an hearing impaired child come to Bonaire and immerse in the predominantly Dutch education will be difficult. I am sure the school and teachers would offer preferential seating but I do not think they are trained in a multi modal approach to learning that your child will require. This is a tough call.

Maggie, my 11 year old is an English speaker. She is in Papa Cornes in a 6th grade with mostly Dutch lessons. Religion and history is in Papiamento. She finds much of the math and geography curriculum is 2 years behind her previous education. She is doing well. In Language Arts she is at a basic level due to the language. Science is partially in Papimento but she is plugging along.

I really like the headmaster and teacher at her school. They allowed her to try 6th grade despite the recommendation sh go to grade 5. Since meeting with her teacher she feels Maggie can go on to SGB for grade 7. I know she will sit through an exam in June that determines what level she should proceed. Knowing what I do I think she could do Mavo if she knew the language but think Havo is more realistic. Anyway, that's a ways away.

The determining factor for our stay in Bonaire after July is her education. I can make it here but if she is not learning at the pace I expect and the language continues to be a barrier we move back to the US.

I also home school her with parts of her previous school's grade 6 curriculum

Sorry so long..email me privately anytime

Ann

She has 5+ hours a week of private Dutch tutoring at 25,00 naf per hour.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration