BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Mortgages for Bonaire Real Estate
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Mortgages for Bonaire Real Estate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 12:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone had any experience with mortgages for buying real estate on Bonaire?
We are planning to buy property on Bonaire and want to know if anyone else knows about if U.S. citizens can get loans to buy property on Bonaire with good terms.
Thanks,
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1585) on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 8:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Unlikely from a Bonaire bank, the interest rates are about twice what you would find in the states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #112) on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 8:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can only talk about using the local banking system. As far as I can tell, "Good" terms here are 15 years and 11%. Bad is 10 yrs & 12.5%. Local bank rates are tightly controlled by our "central" bank of the Netherlands Antilles. The N.A. are considered "high risk" areas, hence the higher rates. I think it's just supply & demand. I have no idea if you'd be eligible, but your real estate agent & attorney should know.

For example, the person selling the property may be willing to accept a private mortgage between you & him--that would be arranged here via the notary, & of course your attorneys, etc...rates & terms to be negeotiated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Petti Fogger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is by far and away my favorite subject. I have a rep. as a very successful business man, and tough negotiator, and yet I am confounded by the N.A. real estate market...

Unless you are planning on paying cash, your best bet is to obtain financing in the U.S. using U.S. based assets to obtain a long term mortgage at a decent rate.

Be careful... I am sure that you have noticed during your research that identical (or nearly identical) homes can vary in price by up to 100K. Prices also vary from real estate agent to agent (again sometimes up to 100K, more likely 10-30K).

Also, since Lenny (the Hurricane), the prices crashed right after it and have since skyrocketed 200% (or more). But because the homes aren't really selling (more on that below) and because so many homes are for sale (the Dutch are fleeing the island a) b/c the tax benefits are gone and b) to be with their grandkids - so I am told), such price increases aren't justified in my mind...Plus some still show signs of hurricane damage (cracks, etc.) How long ago was that hurricane?!?! At least 4 years.

Also, owners are notoriously non-negotiable in their terms. Expect to get no inspection and and an "as-is." Kind of tough when the houses have the water pipes embedded in poured concrete and many of them have cracks in the foundations.

Further, unless you have oceanfront property, in many cases your "view" may be easily obstructed later by some other or adjacent land owner who builds between you and whatever your view is of... (This is the case of one house I really like, and exactly why the asking price is so ridiculous...)

Also, the normal protections home buyers enjoy here up north (in my case, the southern U.S.) don't apply. I wouldn't trust the sellers any further than I can throw them...

Lastly, most of the nicer homes on Bonaire have been for sale for years (3+ or more)... So once you buy on Bonaire, unless you want to lose money, you may be handing it down to the kids, whether you want to or not. God forbid if you wind up in financial trouble and need to sell it in a hurry...

Best of luck to you, you have more guts than I do for buying there. FWIW, the only way I would do it is with cash, no financing (U.S. or otherwise) and for about 55-60% of the asking price, no matter the location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1705) on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many of your facts lack research ie, protection for the buyer, etc. If one is interested in speculation and turning a quick buck, then I suggest another island. For a more accurate picture, check with Sunbelt realty, etc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Island life on Bonaire is not for the faint of heart, or wallet. Some islander-wannabees just never make it past the modern version of Darwinism (permits in a foreign country, a mortgage in Dutch, newspapers in Papiamento, a notary that costs more than $2.99 at the drugstore, etc.), which I guess those of us living here should be thankful for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1706) on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

well said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2957) on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Don't Stop the Carnival".....required reading for anyone who thinks they want to live on a tropical isle, right? LOL. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For me the best part is Lenny the Hurrican .... he cracked houses ???? How did he do it, as he stayed about 5oo miles west of us ???

The only problem for some houses directly at the waterfront could have been some water damage because of the high waves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2960) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tidal surge was the biggie on Bonaire. Not the wind or the rains. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1708) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigette...You do understand that some folks judge an elephant by his trunk only....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ohh Mike ... you mean that is the expert ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1584) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or, perhaps, the leg puller??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi-it was our original question on mortgages that sparked this fun and I want to thank all the talkers for their replies-We have taken all the counsel to heart and yet we press full steam ahead-despite all the potential problems with buying, perhaps never selling, no financing, and plenty of cranky and wonderful locals we will still find our way there a year from now. After years of dreaming and scheming to get to Bonaire we just can't be deterred. Want to fill the house with local art so artists get ready-also plan to help all the Support Bonaire folks-sounds like we'll fit right in after all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Have you considered long term rental. The market is a little depressed and $1000 per month gets a really nice property at the moment.

Compare this with a 30 year mortgage of 360 payments. A $1k rental property is going to be priced for sale at $300k+

When you look at the local mortgage rates and factor in the interest or the need to secure a US mortgage with a US asset (where similar sized houses are much cheaper and less likely to provide the sort of asset value required) you could probably rent for 40 years and come out on top.

House prices are so artifically high and the vendors so difficult to deal with it may be better to rent for the next five years and see both what happens to the economy and the way in which the Dutch / European Union / Netherlands Antilles decide to let the political structure develop.

The comments about pipes in concrete are true. I now have a patchwork ceiling after the plumber played hunt the leaky pipe...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration