BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Bringing cats to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Bringing cats to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi-We hope to move to Bonaire in about a year and a half-yippee!!Bringing our precious cats with us-does anyone know how close to entering Bonaire must the vaccinations be done?-2 months prior, that year, etc?? Want to make sure we don't slip up on this-do we need vet records? Also looking for oceanfront house if anyone has any ideas-we will be there Nov 8-11 for short visit-staying at Bellafonte. Thanks for the advice on the kitties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4529) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 6:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No more than 30 days prior is highly recommended.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you Jake! Could you pls tell us if this is a legal requirement (or medical suggestion)-is within the last year OK?-don't want to put them thru more shots than necessary, Patti

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1476) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just get a letter from your vet saying when they had their current shots and that they are healthy within 30 days of travel. No need for extra shots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 6:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda-that is exactly the info I needed-we thank you and so do the kitties! and we are are so grateful for this site and all the work you do to keep us connected to Bonaire and to our dreams, Patti

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #545) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Following is information I shared with the Browns recently based on my departure from MN with a cat and bird. It was my understanding that the pets must be accompanied by the appropriate USDA health certificate or the airlines could deny transport. Also, you must have these documents for re-entry for US origin pets.

If you haven't already looked, the USDA Veterinary Services web site has all of the import/export procedures outlined clearly. No quarantine going back to the states, but you have to hang onto your export paperwork and take it when you return along with a current health certificate.

For all of the animals you will need a form from the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Form APHIS Form 7001: United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals. It needs to be filled out by your vet w/in 10 days of travel, then signed by the state USDA Veterinarian (or office). I think the fee I paid was $22 per animal. It will be these papers that you must have if you end up taking the animals back to the states to avoid quarantine. www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/petravel.html
www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/official.html This site will help you locate the state office to call for the forms. When you talk with them about where you are going, make sure you tell the that the Netherlands Antilles is in the Caribbean. This was a point of confusion several times (Holland vs A.N.) and the import regulations are different - so it's important.

Three year rabies shots were fine for the cat. They only have one year shots here, however. Also, I would recommend vaccination against feline leukemia - it is prevalent on the island.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration