BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Cats on Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2003 - 2007: Archives - 2003-06-02 to 2004-12-31: Cats on Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcella Moy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I want to know how cats fare on Bonaire. Do they enjoy life there? Are they menaced by iguanas? Do they run the risk of "death by donkey?" How tough is it for pets to travel half way around the world on planes? Are there vets on Bonaire? Does it cost an arm and a leg to travel with a pet? Anyone who can/will answer my cat questions has my great thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Porter (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 6:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marcella,
Your cats won't have any unusual problems here. We have 2 that adopted us. I have not personally transported any here but know folks who have and don't recall hearing horror stories. We have 2 vets (also an animal shelter)on island but we prefer Jan in Niki Boko. Do check with your airline as to their regulations. I do know that your cat will need recent rabies and feline leukemia shots and documentation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1409) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Each airline is different about allowing pets in the aircraft whether the cabin or cargo. AirJamaica does not allow pets at all. America does but there are limitations like size of carrier and if they are in cargo, summer is off limits.

The iguanas could care less about cats. Although I bet a cat that is used to chasing small lizards at home might have a kitty heart attack upon seeing a full grown iguana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #523) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I brought my cat here from MN in Oct 2001, right after 9/11 attack so travelling was a nightmare. It usually costs between $70 and $150 to transport. You need permission from the airline and they do have requirements for the kennel based on the size of the animal. NW made me put him in cargo for the first leg, however, DCA let me put him in a small underseat carrier for the trip from Miami (much better). I do recommend a collar/halter and leash as you will likely have to remove the animal for inspection of the carrier.

We did manage to get here without disaster. My cat was very traumatized for a number of reasons and didn't eat or drink for almost 2 months when we got here - but after 2 months of force feeding he decided it was just no fun to have cat food all over his fur everyday and agreed it was easier to just eat by himself. He has finally adjusted and is content to watch the blue tail lizards thru the screen door - cat TV.

Consult your veterinarian about the paperwork. You may have to get the documents from the state govt offices - state dept of agriculture. You need a "us interstate & international certificate of health examination for small animals" from the export document examiner. it must be signed within 10 days of departure. to return you must make arrangements with the veterinarian at the interantional airport you will return to as a first entry point and have the same paperwork updated. return will require six months "house quarantine" with follow up vet visit, unless things change.

I also use the vet in Nikiboko - he is permanent. The other offices rotate veterinarians quarterly.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration